Our Top 10 home security tips will help you minimize your chances of becoming a victim of a break -in, vandalism or home invasion.
In uncertain times, smart homeowners are becoming more savvy than ever when it comes to protecting their homes and families.
Top 10 Home Security Tips Video
The HSA Top 10 Home Security Tips
Here 10 simple steps to protect your home from burglars.
1. Make sure to close and lock all doors and windows at night and when you are away from home.
2. Have deadbolt locks installed-with a one inch throw and reinforced strike plates.
3. Secure sliding glass doors. Place a metal rod or piece of plywood in the track and install vertical bolts. These will help prevent burglars from forcing the door open or lifting it off the track.
4. Eliminate hiding places by keeping shrubbery trimmed near entrances and windows.
5. Make sure that the exterior is well illuminated. Motion floodlights around the perimeter are an inexpensive deterrent.
6. Create the illusion that you are home by using timers on lights, radios and TV’s. Making your residence appear occupied, even when no one is home, will deter criminals.
7. If you are going on vacation, suspend newspaper and mail delivery, and make arrangements to have the lawn mowed.
8. Keep shades drawn in areas with particularly expensive items.
9. Don’t leave a key under the doormat, plant pot etc. near the front door.
10. Don’t leave a message announcing travel plans on the answering machine, e-mail auto-responder, or on social media sites. Do let the police and a trusted neighbor know.. and have them keep an eye on your home when you are away.
Consider a professionally monitored home security system from one of the top alarm companies. It will greatly reduce the odds of an attempted break in, and provide you with a number of other life safety benefits that will enhance your sense of security and provide you with 24/7 peace of mind!
Share this Image On Your Site
Feel free to share feedback, comments or your home safety tips….and perhaps we’ll include it in an update for the next Top 10 Home Security Tips!
Last Updated on March 29, 2019 by The Home Security Advisor
I like that you mentioned in your top 10 security tips how you can lead potential intruders to believe that you are always home by keeping your TV and lights on. When my wife and I go on vacation for our honeymoon, we would like to make sure that our new wedding gifts are not taken while we are away. We’ll try to keep burglars away from our house when we go on our honeymoon.
I am glad you found the information helpful. If you want additional peace of mind, you may want to consider one of our top-rated home security systems.
Have a wonderful time!
Thanks for the tip to make sure that the exterior of your home is well lit. You also mention creating an illusion that you’re home by using timers for the lights and television. I also think it’s important to choose a security system that has been set up by professionals so that you can be sure that your alarm system is set up properly.
Good point, Cindy. While the majority of our Top Recommended Home Security Systems are among the best rated DIY alarms systems, ADT Monitored Systems are professionally installed to provide optimal convenience and ensure peace of mind.
I am looking to install a security system in my house, but I need the best security company. Next month I am going on vacation for the entire summer and I don’t want anything to go wrong. I think along with the best security company, I will follow your tips too, like making sure the lawn is mowed and telling a trusted neighbor where I am. Thanks!
Definately a wise decision.
And for the best home security companies check out our Top Rated Alarm Companies and see who tops the charts in our Best Home Security Companies of 2016.
Any of these top rated home security companies would help you enjoy peace of mind while you are away.
Thanks for visiting and have a great vacation!
I didn’t realize that 34% of burglars entered from the front door! While I usually think of burglars as sneakily picking locks or breaking windows, it’s more likely that they simply walk through unlocked doors and windows. If that’s so, then your advice to have deadbolt locks on your doors and to lock your doors and windows is that much more important. Thanks for the article.
Thank you, Hazel. Yes securing your home begins with locking doors and windows. And for true peace of mind, installing a security and home automation system takes it to the next level. If you want to make your home more secure check out our Top Alarm Companies and find out who earned top honors this year in HSA’s Best Home Security Companies of 2016.
Thanks for putting together some tips on how to keep your home more secure. I especially like what you said about making sure to always lock all of the doors and windows if you are going to be away. You also make a good point about considering a professionally monitored security system. I would think it could be comforting to have an alarm system to arm your home against intruders.
Good list of steps that you can take to keep your home secure. Having timers on your lights and turning on a tv is a good way to give the illusion that you are home. Thanks for the advice.
Thanks for the feedback, Drew. As security professionals, it is important that we educate our readers how to better protect themselves from break ins, home invasions and vandalism. These common sense tips can form the foundation of a comprehensive family and home protection strategy. For even greater peace of mind and the convenience of home automation, many homeowners are investigating local security providers, as well as our our Top Alarm Companies to find out just how affordable it can be to enjoy a fully protected Smart Home.
Top Alarm Companies