Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX Review - An Affordable Biometric Safe for Home UseLooking for a top-rated safe for YOUR Home or Apartment? See how the Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX stacks up!
With so many styles, types, and sizes available…we break it down and help make it EZ!
The rankings and ratings expressed on this site are the opinion of thehomesecurityadvisor.com and are subject to change. To keep this valuable service free, we may generate advertising revenue from some of the companies reviewed on this site. This in no way effects our ratings. Learn more.
Disclosure: The Home Security Advisor participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for publishers to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX
Our Top Choice for an Affordable Biometric Safe for Home Use
Welcome to our review of the Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX! We’ve thoroughly examined this highly secure biometric fingerprint safe and are excited to share our findings with you.
With its solid steel body, fast access capabilities, and easy setup, this safe provides convenience and the peace of mind that comes with knowing your valuables are protected in either your home or office (or both).
Join us as we dive into the features, specifications, and customer feedback of the Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX.
- The Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX is a highly secure biometric fingerprint safe for home and office defense.
- It is easy to set up and simple to use, with options for fingerprint, PIN combination, and key lock.
- The safe has a pry-resistant and tightly sealed solid steel body, ensuring maximum protection.
- Customers have praised the construction, size, biometric lock, and LED light feature of the safe, but there have been some negative reviews regarding the included bolts for anchoring and issues with broken shelf clips and scratched paint.
That’s why we ranked it as the Number #1 biometric safe in our roundup of the Best Home Safes.
This safe is designed to provide reliable protection for both home and office use. Its easy setup and simple usage make it convenient for anyone. The solid steel body of the safe is pry-resistant and tightly sealed, ensuring the utmost security.
The external dimensions of the safe are H20′ x W14′ x D12′, while the interior dimensions are H19.29′ x W12.5′ x D9.25′, and it weighs 43 lbs. The safe offers multiple locking options, including a biometric fingerprint lock, a PIN combination lock, and a key lock. Its black color and sleek design make it an attractive addition to any space.
With a capacity of 2230 cubic inches, the safe provides ample storage for your valuables. The special feature of a fingerprint sensor adds an extra layer of security and convenience. The safe can be freestanding or bolted down depending on your preference. Control is simple with the push button control panel.
The Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX has specifications that ensure its highly secure and efficient performance.
The safe is made of pry-resistant and tightly sealed solid steel, providing a robust defense for your valuable possessions.
Its external dimensions are H20′ x W14′ x D12′, and the interior dimensions are H19.29′ x W12.5′ x D9.25′.
With a weight of 43 lbs., this safe is both compact and sturdy.
It features a fingerprint sensor for quick and easy access, as well as a PIN combination and key lock for added security.
If you are looking for a biometric safe at a reasonable price the Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX is a worthy candidate for your serious consideration.
Rating the Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX – Evaluating the Common Features of Home Safes
When trying to choose the best home safe for your home and family, there are a host of factors to consider. There are many styles and features designed for specific applications.
The type, size, and features of the safe will vary depending on your priorities and the amount and type of items that you want to keep in the safe.
The type of safe required for one just trying to store a few documents may be very different from a safe designed to safeguard a large gun collection or priceless antiquities and jewelry.
This guide will focus primarily on finding the best home safes for everyday use.
Of course, some of the safes may be suitable for more than just keeping a few documents safe from harm. At the top of the list are a couple of safes that are fireproof and large enough to safeguard a fair amount of valuables as well- providing the best of both worlds…
Top 6 Considerations When Buying a Safe
The Size and Weight
Home safes come in a variety of sizes. They range from smaller portable ones, for a few documents and small items, to larger units, designed to house gun collections weighing many hundreds of pounds. The best home safes are large enough for the items you need to store. You should also factor in a bit of space to keep valuable items you might purchase in the future.
Smaller, portable safes that can be hidden and carried when traveling.
If you are looking for a bit more versatility, there are some modest-sized fireproof safes that will enable you to store documents and some valuables as well. An average-size 1.3-cubic-foot safe typically weighs in the 80-100lb range. This is usually large enough to store important documents, a handgun or two, and expensive jewelry.
While the weight makes it difficult for an intruder to carry it off, these safes can usually be bolted to the floor for an extra measure of security.
Some of them even contain a separate smaller lockbox inside which can be transported. Additionally, fireproof pouches can easily be taken on the road as well.
The The Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX is H20′ x W14′ x D12′ …which seems to be right in the sweet spot for the average homeowner.
Types of Fireproof Safes
Safes for your home can provide protection against a variety of threats – theft, fire, or even water. Some safes do a good job protecting against all of them. However, there are typically trade-offs to be made. Not all safes are designed to address all these risks. When selecting your home safe, be sure that it is designed to protect against the risks that concern you most.
When choosing the most secure safe to use at home, there are a variety of styles to choose from:
Portable – If you travel or are away from your primary residence for extended periods, a portable safe might be a good fit. (or work well as a secondary unit). It will be more convenient to bring the safe with your valuables and important paperwork with you.
Wall Safe – Safes for walls are typically installed in between the wall studs. They can be easily concealed behind furniture or prints and paintings. However, they are not very spacious and often provide less protection against fire and flooding.
Stand-Alone – They come in a variety of sizes and can even be bolted to the floor. These safes offer more durable construction and may provide additional protection against fire, water, and theft.
Gun safes – Are available in various sizes, from small handgun boxes to massive safes for rifles
In addition, there are different levels of protection against specific types of threats. Keep this in mind if you are looking for safes that are fireproof.
Although they are often referred to as “fire-proof” safes, a more accurate term would be fire-resistant. Fire-resistant safes are rated by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) and other agencies based on the safe’s ability to keep the contents below a certain temperature after the exterior is exposed to fire-level temperatures. It is based on keeping the temperature below 350 degrees F for times that range between 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
This temperature was selected because these safes are commonly used to protect important paper documents. Paper begins to char at 387°F and ignites at 421°F.
The most common UL classification system is as follows:
- Class 350-4Hr. (formerly Class A) 4 hrs. @ 2000°F
- Class 350-2Hr. (formerly Class B) 2 hrs. @ 1850°F
- Class 350-1Hr. (formerly Class C) 1 hr. @ 1700°F
- Class 350- 1/2Hr. (formerly Class E) 30 Min. @ 1550°F
Most fireproof home safes can keep the contents below 350°F for a minimum of 30 minutes after being exposed to flames. This is often sufficient, as house fires usually do not exceed 1200°F and are put out in less than an hour. However, for those who reside in more rural areas, where the response time may be longer, it might make sense to consider higher-rated safes.
The Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX is not fire or water-resistant, so if this is your primary concern,you way want to consider some of the other options at the bottom of the page. We would recommend using a fire-resistant pouch for important documents.
Home Security Safe Rating Index
Not all safes have UL Ratings. However, Underwriters Laboratories (UL) rates certain safes based on the construction, design, and capability to deter forced entry attempts. Following are some very general industry guidelines commonly used to recommend safes by specialized safe retailers.
The most common burglary ratings are:
• B-rated – $5,000 or less worth of important items.
• Rated B/C – Up to $10,000 worth of content.
• UL RSC – Up t0 $15,000 worth of content.
• C-rated – Up to $25, 000 worth of content.
• UL TL -15 – Up to $100,000 worth of valuables The safe can be able to withstand an attack of 15 minutes using ordinary tools and devices.
These values are typically doubled when combined with top-rated monitored home security systems!
One of the features that distinguish fireproof home safes is the type of locking mechanism it uses. The lock type can be a simple as a key or combination…or as sophisticated as a fingerprint sensor.
A biometric safe is opened by using a fingerprint sensor that matches fingerprints that are programmed into the safe. This can be the fastest and most efficient system, but some of them can be finicky.
Also, bear in mind, it will require a power source-either battery or an AC outlet. (as does an electronic keypad)
Keys and combination locks are more traditional and don’t require power. However, keys can be lost, and codes can be forgotten. As a result, it is always best to have a backup means of opening the safe.
The most common types of safe locks are:
- Traditional lock: This safe opens with a traditional key.
- Combination lock: Uses a series of numbers like vintage school lockers.
- Electronic Keypad: Requires the entry of a personal PIN code.
- Biometric lock: Access is gained by registering fingerprints into the system.
- Dual lock: Multiple methods are required for access. For example, you may need to enter both a combination and use a key. Some systems include the key as a backup.
Water-resistant safes can safeguard important documents and valuables from water damage resulting from flooding, broken pipes, leaks, and water damage caused by extinguishing a fire.
The possibility of water damage may be much higher in areas that are prone to flooding, or when storing a safe in the basement. Also, safes located on upper floors can end up submerged in a fire if the wood floors are compromised. The weight of the safe can crash through fire-ravaged floors and the safe can end up underwater in the basement if the fire damage is extensive enough.
For protection from water-related damage, look for a safe that has an ETL waterproof certification. This independent Electrical Testing Laboratories (ETL) rates safes based on their ability to withstand a certain amount of exposure to water for a specified period of time.
Premium Features to Look for in a Home Safe
The best fireproof home safes may offer additional features to enhance usability, security, and convenience:
- Hardware – Additional mounting hardware for securing the safe to the floor or a wall. This provides an additional measure of protection against theft.
- Lighting – Interior lighting can aid in identifying the contents of the safe. Backlit keypads make it easy to gain access in the dark
- Adjustable Shelves – Help you optimize the interior space and customize it to your needs. Some home safes even have a lockable shelf or box which can be quickly removed and taken with you.
- Carpet or Felt Lining – A carpeted lining can protect firearms and valuables from getting scratched or marred.
- Tamper Alert – An audible alarm that is activated if it detects vibrations due to a possible break-in attempt or if the passcode is repeatedly entered incorrectly.
These are some of the most common features that we evaluated in determining our list of the Best Home Safes of 2023.
The Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX offers premium-level features…at a wallet-friendly price!
Best Home Safe – Biometric
Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX
- Dimensions – (L) 14″ x (W) 12″ x (H) 20″
- Item Weight – 48 Pounds
- Waterproof? – No
- Fireproof? – No
- Lock Type – Biometric
- Color – Black
Stores up to 32 Users
Multiple Sizes Available
Back-Up Key Lock
Not Fireproof or Waterproof
Some Scanning Issues
What We Liked
What we liked best about the Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX is its biometric lock capability, which provides fast and convenient access.
The solid steel body of the safe is pry-resistant and tightly sealed, ensuring excellent protection for your belongings.
Additionally, the safe is easy to set up and use, making it a user-friendly option for both home and office security.
One of the advantages of the Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX is its highly secure biometric fingerprint lock. This feature provides an additional layer of protection, ensuring that only authorized individuals can access the safe.
Here are four other pros of this safe:
- Fast access: The Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX allows for quick and easy access to your valuables. Whether you need to retrieve an important document or secure your firearms, this safe provides fast and convenient access.
- Easy setup: Setting up the Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX is a breeze. With simple instructions and included components, you can have your safe up and running in no time.
- Pry-resistant construction: The solid steel body of the safe is designed to resist prying attempts, adding an extra level of security to your belongings.
- Tightly sealed: This safe is tightly sealed, protecting your valuables from moisture, dust, and other environmental factors.
- A number of premium safe features at an affordable price.
What Could Be Improved
While the Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX has received overall positive feedback, there are a few areas that could be improved.
We found a few areas for improvement in the Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX:
- It is not fire or water-resistant.
- The biometric fingerprint sensor can be a bit finicky and may require multiple attempts to properly read fingerprints.
- The keypad buttons aren’t backlit, making it difficult to enter the PIN code in low-light conditions.
Viking Biometric Home Safe – Key Features
Unlocks fast with a biometric finger sensor that can register up to 32 users.
It can also be accessed via the digital keypad or a backup key so there are multiple ways to open the safe.
It is well-built with dual motorized 20mm locking deadbolts and features seamless welding and a 5mm laser-cut door.
Premium features include a built-in LED light, a carpeted interior, and 3 adjustable shelves to optimize storage space.
Home Safe FAQs
Where should I place my safe?
Where to place the Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX
This largely depends on what you are protecting, how often you will need access, the size and type of the safe, and the available space in your home or apartment.
If possible, it may be a good idea to bolt the safe to the floor in an unused closet.
Just make sure that it is accessible enough for your own use, while still being difficult for an intruder or anyone you don’t want to have access to it.
What to store in a home safe ?
Protecting Valuables in the Viking Security Safe
The items you choose to protect in your home safe will often dictate the size, weight, and capacity of the safe that you choose. This can vary greatly, but some of the most common items are:
- Important documents- I.E. a property deed, car title, a will, home, and health insurance, bank account information, medical records, etc.
- Guns – Guns should be secured against unauthorized use.
- Cash – Having an emergency stash of cash tucked away in a safe can provide some peace of mind in times of trouble.
- Valuables – For Instance- jewelry, silver, gold, or family heirlooms.
- Computer Backups- A large-capacity flash drive or backup drive can be periodically updated to preserve digital data and photos if you don’t want it on the cloud.
- Keys- A set of spare house or car keys, or keys to a safety deposit box at your bank.
- ID – Documents such as passports, social security cards, birth certificates, or marriage license should be kept in a safe place that can withstand fire or flood.
Do I really need to bolt down my safe?
Should I Bolt Down my Viking Security Safe
It is considered a best practice to bolt a safe to the floor. If intruders break into your home and locate your safe, they may very well just remove it from the property if they can.
Taking extra steps to secure your safe will help prevent this from happening.
How do I maintain my safe?
Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX Maintenance Tips
Safes don’t really require much maintenance. However, if it has an electronic keypad, you do want to make sure that the batteries are charged.
Also, because fireproof safes are sealed, it is a good idea to use some sort of desiccant to prevent moisture build-up and keep things from smelling musty.
Home Safe Security Recommendations
Top 5 Tips to Keep the Viking Security Safe Secure
- Keep it Locked – Develop the habit of always locking your safe right away. If the safe isn’t locked, it is nothing more than an organizer for your most valuable items. You never know when you might be unexpectedly distracted or called away suddenly.
- Use a Complex Code – Avoid using the year of birth, birth dates, last 4 of social. It is important to pick a code that can’t be easily guessed or that you commonly use.
- Bolt it Down – If you take the extra step of bolting it to the wall or floor, it will be far more difficult to remove. Although 100 lbs. might be difficult for you to lift, determined thieves might find it less challenging…
- Select Strategic Location – It is usually a good idea to try and keep it hidden and out of view, if possible.
- Conceal Contents – Keep the contents and the location of your safe to yourself. Never advertise the whereabouts of your safe or what you are keeping in it to others. If you need to access the safe while others are around, ask that they remain in another area of your home.
Bonus Tip – Think of a home safe as adding a layer of protection to secure important documents and valuables. It is one part of a comprehensive home security plan. However, you shouldn’t let having a safe create a false sense of security. It should be part of a larger commitment to protecting your home, family and valuables. At a minimum, one should monitor the safe location with security cameras-but, a monitored home security system will ensure that you have optimal protection for the things that matter most.
For a higher level of protection, a top-rated monitored home security system will provide more comprehensive overall home security. Even the best home safes can be compromised- but adding multiple layers of protection will serve as a more effective deterrent and provide greater peace of mind.
Verdict – The Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX Delivers Outstanding Value for a Biometric Safe for Home Use
In our review of the Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX, we’ve found it to be a highly secure and reliable option for the average homeowner looking for an affordable biometric safe to protect their valuables.
This safe offers fast access through its biometric fingerprint lock or PIN code, ensuring quick retrieval of your valuables. The pry-resistant and tightly sealed solid steel body provides an added layer of security.
With its easy setup and usage, this safe is suitable for both home and office environments. The feedback from customers has been mostly positive, with praise for the construction, size, and biometric lock.
OUR #1 Pick as an Affordable Biometric Safe
Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX
Of course, if you have more specific needs and requirements, we have selected other alternatives that might be better suited to your individual needs and tastes.
Ultimately, a home security safe is only one component of a more comprehensive approach to protecting your home, valuables, and family. You may wish to also consider checking out our best home security systems, for additional options.
Alternatives to the SentrySafe SFW123GDC
Perhaps you have more specialized needs or are looking for more budget-friendly options. We have compiled a list of some of the very best safes in a variety of categories that should meet almost anyone’s needs or budget.
|TopBest Home Safe Overall
|SentrySafe SFW123GDC Fireproof Waterproof Safe with Digital Keypad, 1.23 Cubic Feet, Gun Metal Gray
|Buy on Amazon
|Best Basic Home Safe
|Amazon Basics Steel Home Security Safe with Programmable Keypad - Secure Documents, Jewelry, Valuables - 1.8 Cubic Feet
|Buy on Amazon
|Best Portable Home Safe
|SentrySafe CHW20205 Fireproof Waterproof Box with Key Lock and Interior Light, 0.28 Cubic Feet
|Buy on Amazon
|Best Biometric Home Safe
|Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX Large Biometric Safe Fingerprint Safe
|Buy on Amazon
|Best Home Gun Safe
|SentrySafe QAP2BLX Biometric Gun Safe with Interior Light, 2 Handgun Capacity
|Buy on Amazon
|Best Apartment Safe
|TIGERKING Personal Safe Security Digital Lock Box Key Combination Code Safe Box Steel Money Box Electronic Small Safes for Home
|Buy on Amazon
|Best Budget Safe
|Stalwart Electronic Digital Steel Safe Box with LED Keypad and 2 Manual Override Keys – Protect Money, Jewelry, Passports, and Documents
|Buy on Amazon
|Best Wall Mounted Safe
|Paragon Lock & Safe - 7725 Superior Wall Safe 7725 Flat Electronic Wall Safe For Jewelry Security -
|Buy on Amazon
|Best Small Safe - Biometric
|BARSKA Biometric Safe - CA DOJ Approved Solid Steel Construction, Fast 2.5 Second Access, 2 Steel locking bolts, Tamper-resistant inner edges, Protective Floor Mat
|Buy on Amazon
|Best Fireproof Safe
|Honeywell 2 Hour Fireproof 8 Hour Waterproof Fire Safe with All Steel Exterior, Medium, 2605
|Buy on Amazon
|Best Closet Gun Safe
|V-Line Closet Vault II Gun Safe & in-Wall Cabinet, Off White
|Buy on Amazon
|Full Sized Lockable Jewelry Armoire
|SONGMICS 47.2" H Full Screen Mirror Jewelry Cabinet Armoire, 6 LEDs Jewelry Organizer Wall Hanging/Door Mounted, Larger Capacity, for Women, Pure White UJJC99WT
|Buy on Amazon
Is Purchasing the SentrySafe SFW123GDC Enough?
While getting a highly rated fireproof safe to secure firearms, important documents, expensive jewelry, valuables, and cash is a worthwhile investment- you might not want to stop there. When it comes to protecting your home and family, investing a few dollars in a monitored home security system may be the next logical step to protecting the things that are most important to you.
A monitored alarm system can help protect your home and family against many threats. Among them are break-ins, home invasions, and environmental threats such as fire, carbon monoxide poisoning, floods, frozen pipes, and more.
And it might be much more affordable than you think.
Today’s home security systems are typically wireless and can be either professionally installed by companies like ADT, or self-installed. DIY systems like Frontpoint, make it even more affordable…and don’t require a long-term contract.
Looking for all the bells and whistles? Companies like Vivint can also serve as the hub for a smart home automation system that includes cameras, doorbell cameras, energy management systems, lighting, and smart locks.
Including your new fireproof safe in a fully integrated security system can take it to the next level, and afford you the peace of mind that comes with knowing your valuables, home, and family are fully protected.
Want Total Peace of Mind?
Take Our Simple Quiz to find your Best Home Security Company.
Thank you for your interest in this SentrySafe SFW123GDC Review. We hope you found it helpful. If you are looking to enhance the protection of your valuables, home and family, click the button below for our top-rated home security recommendations.
Best Home Security Systems
Side by Side Comparisons of the Top Security Systems