Life Alert – Reviews, Cost, Price Info
Life Alert is widely known as one of the largest companies of medical alert systems. Having been founded in 1987, the company has 8 offices that are spread across the U.S in Florida, New Jersey, California, New York and finally, their headquarters are located in Encino, CA.
Life Alert gained huge popularity for its now famous and successful “I’ve fallen, and I can’t get up” ad campaign for its Life Alert systems. Just like most medical alert companies, Life Alert systems can be divided into two categories: The first category is comprised of a less expensive home-based system that enables the user get help at the touch of a button and speak directly with agents at the monitoring center through a central console equipped with a speakerphone. The console uses either landline or cellular service.
The system is activated by depressing a help button on the console or a wireless pendant or a wristband.
The second category of Life Alert system is in form of a cellular pendant that does not utilize a console, thus allowing the user to contact the call center directly through a microphone and speaker, the size of a cell phone. It is equipped with cellular service and GPS service to pinpoint the location of the emergency.
The call center has well-trained personnel who can get in touch with the family members, friends or neighbors of the medical emergency victim. They can also dispatch local emergency responders if the situation requires an immediate medical response. Life Alert is known to a have highly experienced call center personnel with a great track record of responding effectively in medical emergencies.
Life Alert systems can be divided into two categories: The first category is comprised of a less expensive home-based system that enables the user to get connected to call center through a signaling device and a console that makes the call to a call center. This system comes in form of a pendant or a wristband.
The second category is in form of a cellular pendant that does not utilize a console, thus allows the user to call the call center directly through a microphone and speaker, the size of a cell phone.
The call center has well-trained personnel who can get in touch with the family members, friends or neighbors of the medical emergency victim. They can also get in touch with local emergency responders if the situation requires an immediate medical response. Life Alert is known to a have highly experience call center with a great track record of responding effectively in medical emergencies.
Life Alert Reviews – 2018 Summary
Facts and Features
- HSA Rating - 7.8
- Years in Business - 30+
- Upfront Costs - $95-$198
- Min. Monitoring Rate - $49.95
- Contract Length - 36 mo.
- Installation- Pro/DIY
- Cancellation - Hard
- Equip. Warranty - Lifetime
- Return Policy - NA
Life Alert Pros and Cons – Summary
- Experience – With a 30+ year track record in the medical alert device industry, they have a great deal of experience with both the product and service. Life Alert emergency response times are among the best in the industry.
- Professional Installation – A technician will come out to the home to ensure that the system is set up and functioning properly.
- Lifetime Warranty – The medical alert device is guaranteed as long as you own the system. Battery life is listed as 10 years, so, it is unlikely they would need to be replaced.
- Long Term Contract– Life Alert requires a three-year contract. it can only be canceled upon death or if one moves into a 24/7 nursing facility.
- No Trial Period – There is no 30 days trial period offered. If you are not comfortable with 3-year contracts, there is no way to try before you buy.
- Lack of Transparency – The website provides little to no product and service pricing information. If you want details on Life Alert costs, you have to call in and speak with a salesperson. Life Alert reviews cite complaints regarding high-pressure sales tactics.
- Leased Equipment – The customer does not retain ownership. The equipment has to be returned when the contract is up.
- No Personal GPS Tracking – While location can be tracked by the life alert emergency response team if the mobile unit is activated, there is no way for family members or caregivers to track location.
- No Fall Detection – None of the equipment offers “fall detection” capabilities. The victim must be conscious and able to depress the help button to activate the system.
- No Life Safety Capabilities – Life Alert no longer offers integrated smoke or carbon dioxide protection. However, in the event of a home invasion, monitoring personal could dispatch police.
- Price – Both upfront and monthly pricing is at the high end of the medical alert monitoring spectrum.
Life Alert Medical Security Review
Reputation and Credibility
Established in 1987, Life Alert has been a leader in the medical alert industry for over 30 years. Best known for their advertising slogan, “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up”, Life alert helps more than 150,000 seniors maintain their independence and provide peace of mind for families concerned about their well-being while living alone.
Life Alert has 8 offices that are spread across the U.S in Florida, New Jersey, California, New York and finally, their headquarters are located in Encino, CA. They have over 600 employees and use their own CSAA 5 Diamond certified monitoring center.
Life Alert maintains an A+ BBB rating and has fielded over 2,000,000 calls annually.
Life Alert Monitoring Packages
Unlike some of the competitive medical alert services, Life Alert maintains their own UL Listed 5 Diamond certified monitoring service. This enables them to provide the highest standards of service to their customers.
However, they do require a minimum 3-year contract which can be canceled in the event of death or moving to a 24-hour care facility.
Basic monitoring starts at a rather hefty $49.95 a month. This increases to $69.90 a month with the addition of Help Buttons…and $89.85 a month with the Mobile+ GPS plan. If you pay annually, one month is free.
It is an additional $10/month to add a second person to the account.
- 24/7 Professional Monitoring
- Professional Installation
- Standard Equipment
Life Alert Basic
- Base Unit, Pendant
Life Alert + Help
- Base Unit Pendant Help Button Or Mobile GPS
- Base Unit, Pendant, Help Button AND Mobile GPS
Life Alert operators typically respond to a signal in 15-20 seconds. They can dispatch help and notify caregivers and family members and will stay on an open line until help arrives.
It should be noted that fall-detection is not available.
Life Alert – Pricing and Equipment
Life Alert Basic Package
The basic Life Alert medical system includes professional set up and installation for a $95 when you sign a 3-year contract.
The standard package consists of the Signature Main Unit and a Medical Alert Pendant. The base unit can work with a landline or cellular connection and is equipped with a 72-hour backup battery.
Life Alert claims that the pendant works within 800 feet of the base unit and has a battery which provides up to 7 years of service. It is waterproof an can be worn around the wrist or as a pendant.
Additional waterproof help buttons are available with a standard up-front cost of $198. These will also add $20/mo to the monitoring rates.
Life Alert Mobile
For additional protection for active seniors, there is the Life Alert Mobile- a GPS unit that can be activated outside of the rage of the base unit and provide GPS coordinates in the event of an emergency. This will also add to the standard initial cost and requires and brings the monitoring rate up to $85+/mo.
Life Alert does not provide equipment with fall detection capability. This means that the system requires that one is conscious and able to depress the help button.
Home Intrusion and Fire Protection
In the event of a home invasion, depress the help button and Life Alert operators can record intruders and alert them that the authorities have been notified.
However, while they used to offer smoke and carbon monoxide protection…Life Alert no longer offers these services.
If you are interested in life safety, home automation, intrusion AND medical safety services, you may want to check out our top home security companies.
Having over 30 years of industry experience, Life Alert offers a high level of customer service. Their agent to customer ratio ensures timely response times and their highly trained agents stay on the line until help arrives.
Members can provide medical histories and personal health information which can be relayed emergency responders to ensure optimal care on the scene.
And while the system carries a lifetime maintenance warranty, there is a 3-year contract required and no 30 day trial period offered.
Life Alert Medical Services Summary
Life Alert is one of the most experienced medical alert companies in the industry that offers systems and services that utilize user-friendly technology.
Their equipment is a bit dated and automatic fall detection is not available.
Life Alert monitoring centers are top notch and offer excellent response times. They have been praised by consumers for their professionalism and effective and quick response in the event of emergencies.
However, their services are at the top end of the spectrum, price-wise…and they are limited in the services offered.
Life Alert is a good choice for one who looking for basic services and doesn’t mind paying a premium for a stable company with a long track record in the medical alert industry.
Can Life Alert Compare to our Top Alarm Companies?
Please feel free to offer your comments, feedback on Life Alert Reviews below.
Life Alert Reviews -Video Summary
Thank you for visiting! Please feel free to share our Life Alert Reviews, below or follow us, above. If you or someone you know has experience with a Life Alert Medical Alert System, we hope you will share that experience in our Customer Reviews.
Security Company Comparison Chart
See how the Top Alarm Companies compare!