The Best Wireless Security Systems for the HomeThe Top Wireless Home Security Systems of 2021
Researching home security systems can be a daunting task. With so many available options, narrowing down the field can be difficult. The Home Security Advisor simplifies the process. We’ve spent thousands of hours and analyzed hundreds of options to try to help you identify the Best Wireless Security Systems to help protect your home and family.
Each of the Top 5 Best Wireless Alarm Systems delivers compelling and persuasive benefits that make them a top contender for any prospective home security buyer in the market for a professionally monitored wireless home security system.
Our top wireless security companies offer some of the best values in the industry. So-regardless if you’re hoping to minimize upfront and monthly costs, get the very best customer service or find the broadest assortment of cutting edge security and home automation equipment, our top wireless home security systems have you covered.
Rates from $34.99
♦No Long Term Contracts
♦A+ BBB Rating
♦Best Customer Service
Rates from $29.99
♦Cutting Edge Tech
♦Flex Pay Financing
♦No Contract Option
Best Pro Install
ADT - Safe Streets
Rates from $28.99
Best Tech Support
Rates from $30.99
♦A+ BBB Rating
♦Great Tech Support
Factors to Consider When Comparing the Best Wireless Security Systems for the Home
- Installation – One of the first things to decide is who will be installing the system. Whether you want your system professionally installed or prefer to do it yourself, the vast majority of all systems installed today are wireless. DIY companies such as Frontpoint will preprogram the base station and pair the components before they ship them out to you. So basically all you have to do is place the sensors and call in to activate. The process is a snap for most folks, but for those who want the system installed by a pro, ADT will install your wireless home security system virtually anywhere in the country.
- Equipment Cost – Upfront equipment costs vary greatly from company to company. Unmonitored systems will typically have much higher upfront costs. Systems with professional monitoring will often install a basic security system for free and recover their losses over time through the monitoring fees. When it comes to protecting your home and family, it is prudent to select a company with an established track record that uses reliable components. The best wireles alarm systems will include battery back up to ensure protection during power outages.
- Professional Monitoring Services – While not all companies require professional monitoring, the best wireless security systems will provide 24/7 around-the-clock protection from trained professionals. While a local siren and a text message is great…you can’t always be available 24 hours a day to pick up the phone. For a reasonable monthly fee of a dollar or two a day, professional monitoring gives you the peace of mind that a trained professional is watching over your home and family 24/7…365.
- Mobile App – The best wireless security systems for the home will let you manage your systems through an app that can control the system from your computer, tablet, or mobile device. You can arm or disarm the system, get notification of alarm activity…even turn on lights or appliances-right from your smartphone.
- Home Automation – The best wireless home security systems provide a number of home automation features that add comfort and convenience to your day-to-day living. With a smart security system, you can automate heating and cooling systems, control lighting and appliances, unlock doors remotely and keep an eye on the kids. An indoor camera with motion detection or a video doorbell can be set up to send video clips to cloud storage.
- Portability – Wireless security systems can be easily expanded, moved, or reconfigured as your needs change. When comparing wireless security systems for the home, flexibility is a key advantage. If you are going to deal with a company that installs the system professionally, make sure that they have a national footprint and a relocation program that covers the entire country should you need to relocate.
The Best Wireless Home Security Systems – Video Summary
Best Wireless Home Security Companies - Transcript
If you are looking for The Best Wireless Home Security Systems with the most competitive monitoring rates…you are in luck!
Savvy wireless home security shoppers are looking for home security systems that can offer nationwide service.
The following make up our top 5 picks.
#1 Best Overall – Frontpoint Security
Best known for their industry-leading customer service, Frontpoint delivers top-notch wireless security equipment and competitive rates- with NO Long-Term Contracts!
#2 Best Home Automation – Vivint Security
Looking for professionally installed, state-of-the-art equipment and cutting-edge home automation capabilities? Look no further!
#3 Best Professional Installation – ADT Monitored Safe Streets Security
If you are looking for a professionally installed wireless alarm system, there is no company with more experience or a more recognized name in the home security business than ADT. They are #1 for a reason….and
have been for more than 10 Years!
#4 Best Tech Support – Link Interactive
The parent company, Mountain Alarm has 60 years of experience to make sure that your system is installed right. Link Interactive Home Security has a full lineup of equipment at extremely competitive prices.
#5 Lowest Monitoring Rates -SimpliSafe Security
An award-winning DIY self-installed system with a solid track record and low monitoring rates-starting at just $14.99!
So there you have it… Our Top 5 picks for the best wireless home security systems.
To determine the best security systems for YOUR needs…
Compare, Click or Call below.
Frontpoint – Best Wireless Home Security – Overall
- A+ BBB Rating
- 30 Day Risk Free Trial
- 100% Wireless System
- Landline Unavailable
Vivint – Best Security System for Home Automation
- Flexpay Financing
- Top of the Line Equipment
- Award Winning App
- Aggressive Sales Approach
ADT Monitored Security – Best Professionally Installed Wireless Security System
- A+ BBB Rating
- Name Recognition
- Professional Installation
- More Expensive
Link Interactive – Best Tech Support for DIY Wireless Home Security
- A+ BBB Rating
- Equoment Selection
- Extensive Experience
- Self Install Only
SimpliSafe – Lowest Monitoring Rate for Top Wireless Security Companies
Top Features of the Best Wireless Home Security Systems
Best Wireless Alarm System Reviews
Frontpoint Security – Best Wireless Home Security System with NO Contract
The NO Contract Wireless Security System with Renowned Customer Service
Exceptional Buyer Experience– Presently there are plenty of companies that maintain an A or A+ Better Business Bureau rating…few exceed customer expectations as consistently as Frontpoint.
Online customer reviews and comments are typically extremely favorable and naturally, 94% of their clients would certainly endorse them. Contrary to the vast majority of their competition, the promotional strategy is generally low key with virtually no pressure.
100% Wireless- Frontpoint delivers the most reliable solutions such as the highly regarded GE Simon XT wireless alarm system (in addition to the available Qolsys upgrade) equipped with standard 100% cellular monitoring. This method eliminates the chance of severing the telephone or perhaps cable lines as a way to disable the transmission of a signal to the monitoring center.
First-class Technology and Monitoring Capabilities – Along with their substantial menu of available security, surveillance and home automation solutions, Frontpoint provides extremely sophisticated alternatives as part of their Interactive monitoring services. Operated by Alarm.com, Frontpoint products incorporate “Crash and Smash” protection along with Geo-Location Solutions. The former ensures that the monitoring provider is going to be notified even if the system were to be damaged…and the latter enables revolutionary product automation functionality controlled by GPS cellular locations.
Transparency coupled with Integrity– Unlike many security internet sites, Frontpoint is very transparent.. Prices tend to be clear and there won’t be any tricks or hidden fees. They are so very confident that they provide one of the best home alarm systems available that they will back it with a No-Hassle, 30 Day Money-back Guarantee. In fact, there are no shipping charges (either way) and no restocking charge!
No Contracts or credit checks! That’s right, Frontpoint no longer requires a contract or credit check for their wireless alarm systems.
Frontpoint provides you with outstanding customer care along with one of the premier DIY wireless security alarm solutions out there. They’ll let you be the judge by offering a 30 Day Full Money Back Guarantee. And they also offer an extensive product selection that includes security cameras along with energy management.
Make sure you visit our in-depth analysis in our Frontpoint Security Review or give them a call for a free, no-obligation quote.:
Vivint Security – Best Wireless Home Automation System
They have recently restructured their entire marketing strategy to eliminate lengthy monitoring contracts and design a program that is more transparent. They accomplished this by separating equipment and monitoring fee structures.
Customers now have the option of financing the equipment or purchasing it outright. This means customers now have the option of no longer being tied down to long-term monitoring contracts. Consequently, this may eliminate the vast majority of customer complaints that have plagued them over the years.
Why wireless home security system buyers like Vivint:
- Superior Equipment with a Laundry List of Monitoring Features– Vivint systems are built to their demanding standards by 2Gig and are paired with their own feature-rich monitoring services. Their cellular-only monitoring eliminates the chances of phone lines being compromised and ensures lightning-fast response rates and trouble-free communication with their Vivint App.
- Top-Notch Tech – Professionally Installed -While they may not be as large as ADT, Vivint has become a dominant player in the security and home automation industry by offering cutting-edge, professionally installed technology across the nation. the Vivint control panel is a technological tour de force…and the Vivint App puts full control of their system at their fingertips. Their technicians ensure that it is installed right and that you are able to use all that technology.
- No Contract Monitoring Rates – Vivint has recently introduced its new Flexpay structure. This program provides better transparency and simplifies the security and home automation purchasing process. Monitoring is competitively priced and does not require a contract. Equipment is purchased separately and can be financed over a 42 or 60-month period- with NO interest!
What they don’t like:
- More Expensive – Vivint offers top-of-the-line products…which come with top-of-the-line price tags.
- Reputation – In the past, Vivint has had a reputation for aggressive sales tactics with questionable transparency.
Vivint Security provides state-of-the-art security and home automation equipment and the most advanced home management app in the market. They have recently restructured their entire marketing strategy to eliminate lengthy monitoring contracts and create a program that is more transparent by separating equipment and monitoring fee structures.
Customers now have the option of financing the equipment or purchasing it outright without being tied down to long-term monitoring contracts. This should eliminate the vast majority of customer complaints that have plagued them over the years.
To make sure that you get the best deal and have a clear understanding of their program, we recommend that you call in at 844-610-0250 and speak directly to an in-house Vivint representative at the number listed above rather than relying on verbal assurances of a highly commissioned door to door representative.
They offer an extensive equipment selection and competitive monitoring packages which feature the top-rated Alarm.com interactive services with Crash and Smash protection and 2-way voice authentication. Check out our in-depth review of Vivint Home Security.
ADT Monitored Security – Best Security System with Pro Install
Important things about a professionally installed ADT Monitored Security System
For those shopping to get a home security system installed by a professional, you cannot find any more respected brand on the market than ADT.
ADT has been rated #1 in the SDM Top 100 over the past three decades.
They have been trusted to help safeguard far more households,families and enterprises than the next 10 rivals put together! ADT features a heritage which covers more than a hundred and forty years.
A professionally installed system by ADT Authorized Premier Provider – Protect Your Home includes the most reliable, state of the art equipment…set up by trained, experienced, background-checked technicians. It is monitored by one of six redundant monitoring stations owned by ADT – the most trusted name in the industry.
- FREE Security System -$850 Value*
- Professional Installation
- Superior Monitoring Redundancy- 6 Monitoring Centers
- Local Nationwide Service Network
- Superior Technology – Voice Control Available
- Broad Home Automation Compatibility
- Nationwide Relocation Program
- $500 Theft Protection Guarantee (certain restrictions apply)
- 6 Month Service Guarantee (certain restrictions apply)
*$99 charge for parts & installation with monthly monitoring services. Termination Fee Applies. For New Customers Only. (See T&Cs Below)
Find out why more than 6 million customers entrust their home security to a professionally installed system monitored by ADT.
Link Interactive Security – Full Featured Wireless Security System
Things We Like About the Link Home Security Wireless Alarm System
Extraordinary Reputation – While they are probably not a household name brand (yet), Link Interactive is without a doubt making out a place in the majority of Top Five Best Wireless Home Security Company lists. Link Home Security is the wireless DIY home security department of Mountain Alarm. They are actually an established regional security company that enjoys an A+ BBB ranking and offers sixty years’ experience with the sales and installation of home security systems. Their customers give them a 98% client approval score.
A Variety of Hardware as well as Monitoring Options – Link Interactive wireless alarm systems highlight the foremost up-to-date 2 Gig Technologies components, along with feature-rich monitoring alternatives. Link Interactive monitoring comes with all of Alarm.com’s groundbreaking features like Crash and Smash Protection, Geo-Location Services…along with 2-way voice assistance.
Simple, Competitively-priced Monitoring Cost – Together with very competitive monitoring rates, Link Home Security continues to keep it simple when it comes to their services. Their “basic” Gold Plan includes cellular monitoring and Alarm.com interactive services and full home automation for one low price-$30.99 a month. Add home automation…and it’s just $35.99/mo.
Want to have video recording? Absolutely no Problem…just $5/mo. more.
Link Home Security provides you with amazing support services together with probably the most extensive security and home automation programs available.
They are surely one of the best DIY wireless security system companies. They offer you a wide-ranging equipment selection and extremely reasonable monitoring plans. They provide highly rated Alarm.com interactive products including Crash and Smash protection and 2-way voice authentication.
For a detailed analysis, read through our Link Home Security Reviews or get a FREE Quote and more details about the reasons why Link Home Security is considered one of the best wireless home security companies of 2020.
SimpliSafe Security – No Contract Wireless Home Security System with Lowest Rates
Things We Like About the SimpliSafe Security Wireless Home Security System
SimpliSafe Keeps it Simple
They separated themselves from the rest of the pack of our best wireless alarm companies by providing affordable equipment and low monthly monitoring rates-with no contract required.
SimpliSafe has over 10 years of experience and has helped hundreds of thousands of customers get affordable protection by offering an easy to install wireless home alarm system that won’t break the bank.
What Wireless Alarm System buyers like about SimpliSafe:
- Affordable Up Front Pricing – With basic security systems starting around $200 SimpliSafe makes it affordable for virtually anyone to get started with a home security system
- Low Basic Monitoring Rates– If you are on a budget, and don’t need all the bells and whistles, SimpliSafe has monitoring rates as low as $14.99.
- No Contracts Required – Unlike many of the best home security companies-SimpliSafe does not require a contract.
What they don’t like:
- Limited Home Automation – SimpliSafe does not have Z-Wave compatibility. This limits the integration of 3rd party home automation products. So, you won’t be able to integrate those Ring alarm components into the SimpliSafe system.
- Proprietary Equipment – SimpliSafe manufactures its own line of equipment. It is not compatible with other ecosystems or monitoring services. So if you want to take advantage of more advanced management apps such as Alarm.com or an alternative monitoring service…you will have to start from scratch.
SimpliSafe offers an affordable, easy to install DIY Security System.
They offer basic equipment packages, with affordable equipment costs, monitoring options, a 60-Day Return Policy, and a 3 Year Warranty.
Designing the Best Wireless Security System for the Home
The best wireless alarm systems contain many of the following features.
- Perimeter Protection- The first priority in planning your wireless home alarm system is to set up a perimeter. You want to do everything possible to discourage potential intruders from even considering your house as a potential target. Let them know that you have a monitored wireless alarm system with yard signs, window stickers, and, if they are in the budget, wireless alarm system security cameras. Then protect the perimeter doors and any vulnerable windows with magnetic sensors. Many of the best wireless home security systems also offer smart door locks which can be controlled remotely through wireless home security app.
- Interior Protection – A good wireless security system for the home also provides a second line of defense. This will detect an intruder if they get past the perimeter protection. Motion sensors should be placed strategically to protect high-value items and/or larger areas with lots of windows. You might also want to consider additional keypads or panic buttons in an office or bedroom. Many of the best wireless home security systems allow you to use voice commands with Google or Alexa. For maximum protection, wireless home security cameras can be positioned anywhere where one might want to record or view activity.
- Asset Protection- Your wireless alarm system might also sensors to protect other areas of interest such as gun cabinets or an office that contains sensitive information. The best wireless security systems let you configure specific sensors as “non-reporting. Instead of setting off the alarm, these sensors will alert you by sending a notification through the smartphone app.
- Environmental Protection – Wireless security systems can also be set up to safeguard your property from environmental dangers such as fire, carbon monoxide, flooding, or freezing. Top-rated wireless alarm systems have different sensors for each of these applications.
- Home Automation- The best wireless alarm systems can also serve as the main hub for home automation. This way, you can manage lighting, security cameras, heat and A.C., doors, and garage door openers- all in one place. Top wireless security systems let you control essentially any home automation function at the touch of a button.
Top 5 Ways to Customize the Best Wireless Home Security Systems
Before deciding on how to best customize your wireless alarm system, make sure that the company you select can provide the equipment you require for a fully customized and cost-effective system. For a truly custom install and to get the most bang for your buck, make sure the system you choose has the versatility and can accommodate all or most of the multi-function components described below.
1 The best wireless home security companies oﬀer a full line of “take-over” devices that allow you to upgrade your current security equipment to the most advanced system available. If you are upgrading a smart home security system with a fair amount of existing equipment, this is an important consideration.
2 Top wireless alarm companies offer multiple specialized sensor options for your doors and windows include recessed, plunger, and bypass – providing custom solutions for nearly any installation scenario.
3 It is optimal to be able to open and close your garage door with the same keyfob you use for your wireless security system. You can also control it with a smartphone thanks to Z-wave products that interface with most garage door brands.
4 Protect your home from frozen and broken water pipes and furnace and air conditioning failure with this multi-purpose sensor. Check to see if multi-function sensors are available with your wireless home security system.
5 Triple-duty detectors can activate your wireless home alarm system when it senses smoke and high and low temperatures.
FAQs and Tips for Choosing the Best Home Security System
Home Security Systems - Are They Worth It?
Is Wireless Home Security Worth it?
While most people reading this article are already convinced a wireless home security system is a smart investment, there may still be some that are still on the fence…or perhaps not aware of the many benefits of owning a wireless security and home automation system.
While most folks still think of them as burglar alarms….the best wireless security systems include tons of features that you might not have considered or been aware of. There are lots of creative uses for contacts that you may not have considered, such as:
- Monitor Gun Cabinets
- Medicine Cabinets
- Sensitive File Drawers
- Pool Gates
Although the primary motivation for purchasing a system is usually to protect against break-ins and provide additional protection from fires…the best alarm systems can help
- Prevent Frozen Pipes– with low-temperature sensors that detect when the temperature drops below 45 degrees.
- Water Damage and Flood Detection– Sensors can be incorporated into the best home security systems that will detect the presence of water in time to take steps to prevent or mitigate water damages.
Most of the best security companies include mobile applications such as Alarm.com and Total Connect that enable you to control not only the security system but also a number of Z-Wave home automation components on any Android, Apple IOS, Pebble, IPad, Blackberry, or Windows-based device.
- Lighting – Can be controlled through Z-Wave modules that interface with most of the top alarm systems.
- Thermostats- Save energy and money by programming the system to reduce the heat when the system is armed.
- Door Locks– Can be automatically set to be locked when arming the system at night…and controlled remotely to allow someone access.
Financial Benefits of Owning a Security System
- Reduce Insurance Costs – The best home security companies will provide you with a certificate of installation which may save you from 5-20% on your homeowners’ insurance. Make sure that they know that you have a professionally monitored security system…and let them know if you have monitored fire protection as well.
- Lower Energy Cost and Consumption– Top alarm systems can incorporate energy management capabilities and enable you to optimize Z-Wave lighting and thermostats to reduce your energy consumption.
- Increase Resale Value– Security and home automation systems are some of the “bells and whistles” that appeal to buyers and add to the perceived value of a home.
In summary, a modern security and home automation system in today’s best home security systems can provide dozens of features and benefits that can easily justify the investment. We hope that you have found this guide helpful in your search to find the best home security system to help protect you and your family.
Please feel free to share The Top 5 Best Home Security Companies of 2021 and let us know about your experiences with any of our top alarm companies.
Choosing the Best Wireless Security System
How to choose the BEST Wireless Home Security System?
The first step in selecting a home security system is assessing your needs, priorities, and budget. While each of our Top 5 Best Home Security Companies is worthy of your consideration, your situation and individual preferences are unique.
To find the security system and company that is best for you, it is important to determine your priorities.
DIY Wireless Home Security Systems vs Professional Install Home Security Companies?
One of the first considerations is whether or not you want to install the system yourself or pay for a professional installation. Historically, systems had to be hardwired into the home. This would involve drilling and cutting holes in the walls, fishing wires, and complicated mounting and extensive programming.
But…times have changed. Even the companies that professionally install the systems are now using primarily wireless equipment.
The technology has been greatly improved over the years to make the equipment extremely user-friendly…and the more experienced DIY alarm companies have greatly streamlined the installation process to make it simple for even the most technologically challenged homeowners.
The better companies will pre-program the entire system before sending it out so that all the end-user has to do is mount the devices and call in to have the system activated. Over 90% of homeowners found our best DIY alarm systems easy to install!
Advantages of Home Security Companies that offer DIY Alarms
Potential benefits of getting Best Home Security System with DIY Install
- Cost Savings– Installing a DIY security system from one of the best home security companies can mean big savings. Top security companies that sell self-installed DIY systems don’t have to factor in expensive professional installation. The cost savings with the DIY best security system can be substantial when compared to the top-ranking professionally installed home security companies.
- No Contracts – If you were to invest in one of the top choices in the professionally installed best home security system category, it would likely involve a 3-year contract. But, some of the best home alarm systems that offer DIY installation, such as Frontpoint, which earned our award for the best security system for customer service, now provides state-of-the-art equipment with only a month-to-month commitment.
- No Waiting– One of the big advantages of buying a DIY alarm listed in our top home security companies is that there is no need to take time off from work or schedule an installation time. The DIY installation option available on the best home security systems means you can install the system when it is convenient for you.
- Enhances Familiarity– Home security systems reviews indicate that homeowners and renters who set up DIY alarms that are ranked among the best home security companies become more familiar with all the features and operations of their systems. Let’s face it, the best security system is the one that you will be comfortable using, and is armed all the time!
- Portability– With the best DIY security systems, when you move, your alarm system moves with you. Many home security system reviews from some of the owners of the best home security systems that need to be professionally installed complain that service is not available in their area when they relocate. Home security is important no matter where you and your family may live. The best home security system is that one that protects the things that are most important to you no matter where life takes you.
- No strangers in your home – The best home security companies take great care in hiring technicians. Nevertheless, even the best home security companies that must be professionally installed sometimes have to use 3rd party sub-contractors. Often times the best security system might be getting installed by a technician that might not be thoroughly vetted. You can assure your family of the best home security by having complete control over the entire process. Why share sensitive information with a complete stranger? With DIY home security companies, this is never a problem.
Benefits of DIY Home Security Companies
Advantages of Home Security Companies with Professional Install Services
- Less Effort
- More Expertise
While a professionally installed system might involve less effort, the vast majority found that the systems provided by the best DIY alarm companies were easy to install, user-friendly, and saved them a substantial amount over a professionally installed system.
(And I venture to say that they got a certain amount of pride and self-satisfaction in having done it themselves…)
Tips for the Best Home Security System with Professional Install
Not everyone is comfortable with technology. We get it.
And many of the best security systems are still being professionally installed. But if you are scheduling a technician to come into your home, make sure to follow these best home security practices:
For those who choose a professionally installed security system from among the top-ranked home security systems, make sure that you determine how experienced the installation technician is. The best security system companies will require that all technicians are background checked and have undergone drug screening.
Be sure to ask whether or not the company is using its own employees or uses 3rd party subcontractors. Alarm companies that are working with subcontractors often have less control over the vetting process.
And finally, make sure that installers have proper ID and have gone through extensive vetting before allowing them into your house.
Landline vs. Broadband vs. Cellular
When selecting the best home security system to help protect your home and family, one of the most important criteria to consider is how the system will be communicating to the central monitoring station. Historically, it wasn’t that long ago when the only way to send a signal was through a landline. Fortunately, technology has developed faster, more efficient, and more secure methods of communication that afford additional options to meet the demands of security-savvy consumers.
The basic landline connection is typically the most affordable means of communication. However, it has limited capabilities and is more susceptible to potential security threats. Landlines can be compromised by simply cutting the phone line. This eliminated the means of communication and reduces the security system to nothing more than a noise-maker.
Additionally, landlines cannot transmit the data signals that power the mobile applications which play such an important role in today’s best home security systems. Today’s consumers are looking to be able to monitor and manage security and home automation functions from anywhere through apps on their mobile devices.
Broadband is certainly the fastest means of communication a signal and excellent data bandwidth transmission capability but suffers from the same security vulnerabilities as the landline. It can be defeated with a $5.00 set of wire cutters. Additionally, broadband communication is susceptible to local power and cable outages.
Consequently, in most situations, we recommend a system equipped with a cellular connection (or a system with multiple, redundant capabilities). It operates on its own independent cellular communicator which is typically incorporated into the main control panel. It cannot be cut by intruders and is not affected by local phone, cable, or power outages…as the system has a battery backup. Most companies offer both CDMA and GSM cellular technologies which afford coverage in the vast majority of the country.
Of course, the exception might be if one resides in an area where there is no cellular coverage or cable service. (or if there is no interest in interactive apps and services) In this case, we highly recommend that exposed phone or cable wires on the exterior of the home are protected with conduit, to protect against the potential for line cuts.
Hardwired vs. Wireless
Back in the ’80s and ’90s when wireless security systems were first introduced, the technology was far less reliable than it is today. There were many security purists who insisted that hard-wired systems were the only way to go. Of course, this required professional installation, cutting holes, and fishing wires…and, of course, the typical installation would cost thousands of dollars.
However, as the industry has evolved, technology has improved…and costs have come way down. The batteries that power wireless sensors last for many years and the systems employ learn mode technology to ensure that the sensors communicate properly with the control panel-eliminating the possibility of wireless interference.
As a result, even the “professional installation” companies install wireless alarm systems…almost exclusively in residential applications. While hardwired systems are still used in certain commercial applications…it is unusual to see modern systems being hard-wired in a residential system.
Local vs. National
When it comes to choosing a security company to help protect your home and family, we recommend selecting a national home security company that has a stable history and specializes in home security….across the nation. In a mobile society, who knows when you may need to relocate…and need to secure a home in another part of the country.
The last thing you want is to be tied to a contract with a cable company that doesn’t service that area or a small local security company that only provides service in a limited geographical market. Over the years, I have seen countless local security companies go out of business or sell out to national companies because they could no longer compete….leaving their loyal customers confused, unprotected, or at the mercy of their new service provider.
Control Panel Features
Things to consider when choosing an alarm panel from a Top Wireless Alarm Company.
Top 5 things to look for in The Best Security System Alarm Panels
Many companies offer multiple options regarding the central control panel that will serve as the hub of your entire home security system. When trying to select the Best Alarm System, make sure you look into the following features.
- Encryption – Not all panels have adequate encryption to protect against modern-day hackers. Encrypted Sensors make it very difficult to hack. If you are upgrading a system, that could mean having to upgrade all your sensors. Some panels, like the 2GIG GC2e, are also backward compatible with prior generations.
- Aesthetic and UI – Today’s panels should be sleeker and more modern, with capacitive touch screen controls.
- 2-Way Voice – Industry-leading panels offer 2-way voice capability that allows direct communication with the CMS when an alarm is triggered.
- Z-Wave Plus – This is a new-and-improved protocol, allowing home-automation products to have more battery power, higher functionality, longer range, and many more benefits over the original Z-Wave protocol
- Alarm App – Make sure that the security and home automation platform seamlessly integrates the entire system and enables remote management, observation, and control, from your smartphone, computer, or tablet with an internet connection. You can check Apple App Store or Google Play for ratings.
Arming Mode Capabilities
Arming Modes of the Best Wireless Home Security Systems
OFF — Many of the alarm features are still active even when your home security system is switched off. Your alarm system will still alert you if a doorway or window is opened. The smoke detectors, carbon monoxide sensors and environmental and life safety systems (i.e. water or low temperature) are still active. So, even if the system isn’t armed, if a fire breaks out your system will still alert the central monitoring station.
Stay– You can arm only the perimeter protection at the doors and windows by arming your system in the “stay” mode. This will enable you to move about the home freely and still have a certain degree of protection.
Away – The away mode will trigger any interior motion detectors in addition to the doors and windows.
Instant — You can eliminate the entry delay on your home security system by arming it in instant mode.
Duress – You can set up a special duress code that will notify the monitoring center that there’s a potential hostage situation.
Panic – The best home security systems are also equipped with an emergency panic button. These will alert the central monitoring station that there is an occupied panic scenario. They will typically dispatch the proper authorities immediately…and then contact the home to verify the signal.
Best Home Alarm System Arming Options
When evaluating the top security systems, make sure that each of these arming modes and features is available.
Managing the Wireless Security System with Mobile Apps
The Best Wireless Security Systems
Things You Can Do With Their Mobile Apps
The Best Home Security Systems have begun to incorporate many new capabilities in recent years. Top alarm systems typically provide a central hub that gives you the ability to control virtually any connected device that is compatible with the system.
- Arm/Disarm System – All home security apps let you arm and disarm your alarm from any mobile device.
Lock/Unlock Doors – With the best security systems, you don’t have to worry if you forgot your keys. Mobile Apps featured by the top alarm companies enable you to unlock compatible door locks.
- Best Security Company Cameras – Best Home Security Compatible Cameras allow you to record video or watch in real-time- right through the app. A security camera from one of our best alarm companies lets you oversee your pets and observe the children as they arrive home from school.
- Real-Time Alerts – Mobile apps from the best alarm companies allow you to set real-time alerts that will notify you via text or e-mail when the kids get home, there is an intrusion, fire or any event you wish to program into the system.
Thermostat Control – Top Home Security systems mobile apps can even serve as a home energy management hub. They allow the user to control the thermostat and…
- Turn Lights On/OFF – ensure that you never have to walk into an unlit home. The best home alarm systems can be equipped with smart lighting which is controlled through the mobile app.
- Control Appliances – With most of our top home security systems, you can even start the coffee maker or an air conditioner from the office. wouldn’t it be great to come home to a warm cup of coffee and/or a cool house?
Mobile Apps – Benefits of the Best Security Systems
Sensor Capabilities of Top Wireless Alarm Systems
Unique Sensor Uses Available in the Best Wireless Home Alarm Systems
You can use door or window sensors to safeguard many areas of your home with most of the best wireless home security companies.
Most home security reviews don’t mention it, but basic magnetic contacts can be configured so that they don’t actually activate the alarm. A sensor can be set up so it will chime and send a notification alert through your mobile app. Once you receive a signal, you can observe your home security camera right on your smartphone.
Door or window contacts have a number of alternative uses:
Gun Safe – Place a sensor on your gun cabinet for an extra layer of protection. While most people know enough to lock their gun safes, the best home security companies can provide a second layer of protection with the addition of a magnetic contact- set in “report-only” mode. That way, if someone finds the code or key, your alarm system will send an e-mail notification via SMS or e-mail to alert you when your cabinet is accessed.
Liquor and Medicine Cabinets- You can even monitor the contents of your liquor and medicine cabinets. The best security systems will allow you to set schedules in your app and notify you if a cabinet was not opened by a certain time. This can be useful to ensure that someone is taking medications on a timely basis.
Hazardous Materials- The best home alarm systems can even help protect against accidental poisoning. Install contacts on any cabinet within a child’s reach that might contain harmful or toxic materials. Then program the sensor to in report-only mode.
Tool Shed- If the tool shed is located within the range of the hub of your system, a sensor can be placed on the door of your tool shed as well. In some situations, it may require special outdoor sensors to deal with extreme temperatures and the elements.
Mailbox- Wondering if the mail has been delivered? Door/window sensors can be placed on the mailbox to let you know.
Pool Gate -It is especially important for families with young children to be aware of the status of a pool gate. The best home security companies have outdoor sensors that can be placed on the pool gate. Check with customer service to find out what sensors are best suited for your situation.
Keep in mind that outdoor applications may require more robust sensors. Mounting on some surfaces can be difficult and the distance to the sensor from the main hub of the wireless security system can be a limiting factor.
The best home security system for some people is the company that can provide the most variety of equipment sensors to accomplish specific tasks.
Best Wireless Security Sensor Uses – Infographic
Covid's Impact on Wireless Security Companies
2020 Coronavirus Update – How Top Alarm Companies Combat The Covid-19 Pandemic
As the pandemic continues to drag on…when you consider home security company rankings, it makes sense to look into how the best home security companies are protecting employees and customers against the prospect of Covid-19 infection.
While contact face to face contact is not a concern with DIY alarms, companies that install the best home alarm systems should have systems in place to deal with in-home sales, service, and installation concerns.
The best home security companies with professional installation need to show that they have systems in place to reassure some of the potential customers who are considering the Best DIY home security systems because they are concerned about face-to-face sales, service, or installation interactions.
The best home alarm companies, publish their policies for maintaining their sales, service, and monitoring standards and outline what steps they are taking to ensure the safety of both their employees and customers. This is important to reassure customers that they have a solid plan to be able to continue to operate in the midst of the ongoing health crisis.
- To limit exposure to Covid-19, top alarm companies now encourage as many employees as possible to work remotely. Many companies are providing secure laptops to remote workers to assure privacy while providing tech support for their top-rated home security systems.
- The best alarm system companies have redundant monitoring centers. In the event of a local health emergency, calls could then be re-routed to an alternate facility.
- Customer-facing employees are typically given additional cleaning supplies, protective masks, and protective tools. A lot of security companies are contacting their customers before every appointment to ensure that no one is sick and that they can provide a safe work environment.
- For those who are uncomfortable receiving sales, service, or installation staff in their homes, the best security companies will provide a number of ways (Chat, Phone, Online, etc.) to reschedule.
During the Covid-19 health emergency, it is extremely important for the best home alarm companies to closely follow CDC Guidelines to ensure the safety of both security company employees and customers.
If you have recently installed any of our top home security systems, make sure that help our readers looking to compare home security systems and share your experiences in the sections for home security systems reviews.
Available Equipment Options
A Guide to Common Components of the Best Wireless Security Systems
The Best Wireless Security Companies will offer a comprehensive selection of components. This will enable you to customize your systems to fit your needs and budget. There is a myriad of ways that you can outfit and configure your system.
The great thing is that most systems are fully expandable. You can start with a basic system and build upon it when your needs change and/or your budget allows.
Following is a list of the major common components. We have included the more basic sensors that are often included in a starter wireless home security package, as well as a variety of sensors that you might want to add to a more comprehensive customized system.
The Basic Wireless Alarm Package
The Control Panel Hub
While some systems come with a separate base unit and keypad, the majority will integrate the two. You still find very basic units with pushbutton controls, but most will offer a touchscreen display.
Touchscreen Panel – Most top wireless systems come with some form of touchscreen panel where you can arm and disarm your system and manage any connected devices. The panels can be mounted on the wall or set up with a desktop display mount. Many will have an internal cellular antenna that can function as a primary or backup means of communication.
Cellular Communicator – Sometimes the cellular communicator may be a device all on its own. It can be used, in some cases, to keep connected to the app as well as the monitoring center. The advantage of a cellular connection is that it stays on in a power outage and can’t be cut, unlike regular phone lines and cable.
Window/Door Sensors – Otherwise known as contact or entry sensors. Each sensor is two parts, one that goes on the door or window frame, and one that goes on the door or window itself. One is a magnet and one is a transmitter. When the magnetic field between the two is broken, a signal is sent to the main unit. It is usually recommended to place sensors on all doors and the most vulnerable windows on the main floor.
Motion Sensors- Motion sensors detect movement inside the house. They typically screen out smaller objects (below 40 lbs.) and can be placed in larger common areas in the home where an intruder might pass.
Glass Break Sensors- Glass break sensors, as the name implies, can detect the sounds of glass breaking, as intruders will often break windows to gain entry. They are not typically included in basic packages, but can sometimes be swapped out and often used instead of motion detectors when there are larger pets in the home.
Keypad- Keypads are used to enter passcodes to arm and disarm your system. In many systems, they are integrated into the main hub. They should be placed on the wall or near where you most commonly enter and exit your home. Secondary optional wireless keypads can be placed in master bedrooms or other areas where one might want to arm or disarm the system
Panic button- Panic buttons are often included on the main keypad. They can immediately alert the monitoring station of an occupied medical, fire, or personal threat or emergency. There are also separate wireless buttons or pendants available which can be activated anywhere with range of the base unit
Key Fob- Often referred to as keychain remotes, key fobs work with most wireless security systems so that you can arm and disarm them even away from the keypad. Some key fobs can also include a panic alert feature.
Yard Sign- Yard signs can serve as a deterrent. They alert anyone that the home is protected by XYZ Security Company. While some people argue that this will ward off would-be intruders, others argue that they may provide insights as to the age and make of the systems to a savvy criminal. Realistically, they are more likely going to move on to easier targets.
Window Stickers- The same arguments arise when it comes to window stickers. Some experts suggest that it might make sense to use signs and stickers from a different company if you are concerned.
Siren- The majority of security system touch screen panels or base stations have sirens built-in. We recommend sirens of at least 85 decibels. Auxiliary sirens are typically available for larger homes or systems which don’t have built-in sirens
Top wireless alarm companies provide equipment that will allow you to monitor a variety of potential threats within your home. Typically, each of the components below can be integrated seamlessly into the system and monitored right through the system’s app.
Smoke Detector- In the event of a fire, a wireless smoke detector will automatically send a signal to the central monitoring station if no one is home or if they are unable to get to the phone. Many of them also incorporate a rate-of-rise heat sensor which can detect rapid increases in temperature. This is helpful in extreme temperatures if cooling systems fail, or if there is a flash fire that doesn’t have a lot of smoldering smoke.
CO Sensor – Carbon monoxide is a tasteless, colorless, and odorless gas that can be lethal if ingested in large quantities. Wireless alarm systems equipped with monitored CO detectors will alert you of dangerous levels of CO even when you’re not home.
Smoke/CO Firefighter Module- Already have standard smoke and CO in the home? Some wireless home security systems are compatible with smoke and CO alarm modules that can detect the sounds of your existing smoke and CO alarms going off and alert you via your mobile app.
Flood Sensor- You may be able to prevent major flood damage if you can catch leaks as soon as they happen. Flood sensors, sometimes called water leak detectors, can be placed near the dishwasher, washing machine, sump pump, or any other areas where floods can occur.
Heat Detector- While temperature sensors may be built into smoke alarms, they can be sold as separate devices that alert you of rapidly rising temperatures in your home, which could indicate fires. It is often a good idea to use these in a garage or near the furnace, where emissions tend to set off smoke detectors.
Low-Temperature Sensors- Low Temp Sensors can be set to monitor if the temperature dips below 45 degrees to prevent frozen pipes. These can be placed on exterior walls where the plumbing runs and in the coolest areas in the home that might be vulnerable to sub-freezing temperatures.
Security Cameras, Appliance Modules, and Smart Locks
Indoor/Outdoor Cameras- Wireless security cameras allow you to monitor and record what is happening in and outside of your home. Most wireless alarm systems offer a variety of camera options for both indoor or outdoor use. The current standard is 1080P HD resolution which is motion-activated and offers night vision. Cameras are also available with two-way voice capability and some even offer Artificial Intelligence (AI) which can distinguish between persons and objects such as pets.
Micro-SD card- While most cameras offer cloud storage of video clips, (at a price) some cameras come with storage capabilities on micro-SD cards. These are typically purchased separately, gaining up to 64 GB of local storage.
Video Doorbells- Video doorbells integrate a doorbell and a camera into one component. They may operate through the existing doorbell wiring or function as a stand-alone unit with a rechargeable battery. Many of the better systems are motion activated and include 2-way voice to allow you to speak with your guest through the system. If it is incorporated into your wireless alarm system it can be operated from your control panel or directly through your system’s app. These are a popular add-on to enable wireless security system owners to monitor packages dropped off at the front door…esp. during the holiday season.
Appliance and Light Modules- These are separate modules that plug into your existing 110v outlets that enable you to control lighting and small appliances right through your wireless home security system. You can turn lights on and off, start the coffee in the AM, raise the shades and turn on fans right through your app. The best wireless security systems even let you set up rules or scenes which will let you automate a whole series of events when you issue a single command.
Smart Locks- Never worry about placing a spare key under the doormat again. Smart locks can be locked and unlocked remotely. The best smart locks can be managed with your wireless home security system so that your doors can lock when your system is armed, ensuring that your home is truly secure when you leave the house. Some systems can even be set up to unlock the smart locks automatically when the system detects that you (and your phone) have driven in the driveway!
Wireless Home Security Comparison Chart
- Equipment Package
- Get More Info
- Equipment Manufacturer
- Basic Equipment Package
- Best Price Guarrantee
- Term of Contract
- Monthly Monitoring Rates
- Locked in Rate
- 2 Way Intercom
- Crash and Smash
- Geo-Location Services
- GPS Vehicle Tracking
- Mobile Phone App
- Notification Alerts
- Home Automation
- Live Video Monitoring
- Equipment Warranty
- Return Policy
Thank you for visiting. Please feel free to Like or Share – our Top 5 Best Wireless Security Systems of 2021.
Best Home Security Systems
Side by Side Comparisons of the Top Security Companies
Last Updated on November 6, 2021 by The Home Security Advisor