Simplisafe vs. ADT Security Review
Facts and Features
- HSA Rating - 8.5
- BBB Rating - A+
- Years in Business - 10
- SDM Ranking - NA
- Equip. Man - Proprietary
- Upfront Costs - $259+
- Min. Monitoring Rate - $14.99
- Contract Length - 0
- Installation- Self
- Relocation - Easy
- Equip. Warranty - 3 Year
- Return Policy - 60 Day
SimpliSafe vs. ADT Monitored Security System Review
ADT Monitred Security Articles
This SimpliSafe vs. ADT Monitored Security Review portrays a classic confrontation between two very different approaches to providing home security and automation.
ADT Authorized Provider -Safe Streets provides the entire spectrum of professionally installed home security products and technologies with an industry standard 3 year agreement.
SimpliSafe provides basic home security through wireless self-installed, DIY alarm systems with the option of self monitored or non-contracted monitoring.
ADT Monitored Security vs. SimpliSafe Home Security
In this review, we are comparing ADT Authorized Provider, Safe Streets, with Simplisafe and contrasting a variety of features in 5 separate categories. For the purposes of our comparative reviews, each category is given equal weight.
These sections of the review are listed in the Table of Contents to the left, allowing you jump ahead to an area of interest by clicking on the link in the TOC.
Although we select a “winner” based on the number of cumulative rounds won, selection may differ according to your individual priorities and home security criteria.
ADT vs. SimpliSafe – 2019 Reviews
Reputation and Credibility
ADT Authorized Provider – Safe Streets
Safe Streets has been in operation since 1998 and is one of the largest Authorized Providers for ADT, the most recognized brand in home security.
They have earned an A+ BBB rating by providing outstanding professional installation and service to hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers each year.
All monitoring services are provided by ADT , which was founded 140 years ago as American District Telegraph.
ADT is the oldest and most recognized name in home security and has been the #1 name in the home security industry fordecades.
Chad Laurens founded SimpliSafe about 10 years ago with the objective of providing an affordable, basic DIY (Do It Yourself) wireless home security system with no contractual requirements.
SimpliSafe also boasts an A+ BBB rating.
While it is much easier to find negative customer reviews for ADT monitored security systems..it is important to put that into the context of a company with a customer base of over six million. To maintain an A+ BBB rating with that many customers shows that they are very committed to resolving issues when they do arise.
Although SimpliSafe matches the BBB rating….they do so with a much smaller customer base- and a business model in which there are no contracts or installation services to generate complaints.
ADT Monitored Security Systems carry the brand that is is virtually synonymous with home security and the fact that they have been doing it for for so long and are larger than the the next 10 competitors combined speaks for itself.
They have THE #1 name in home security….and has the credibility to match.
SimpliSafe vs. ADT Monitoring Services
Both companies provide UL Listed, Five Diamond Certified monitoring stations. However, the ADT Authorized Provider, Safe Streets, does not outsource the monitoring and provides full redundancy with 6 ADT owned and operated monitoring centers. This provides added peace of mind because they have the ability to re-route calls in the event of a natural disaster affecting an individual monitoring center.
One major distinction is that SimpliSafe does not require any monitoring contract…whereas ADT requires a 3-year monitoring agreement.
SimpliSafe monitoring rates are substantially lower-with cellular monitoring starting at just $14.99, but they include just the most bare boned features. While their Interactive Plan ($24.95) does include the ability to arm and disarm their system remotely, SimpliSafe does not offer any home automation or video surveillance capabilities.
ADT Monitoring incorporates home automation features and video surveillance as well as 2-way voice capability.
These are some of the most desirable features found in the majority of today’s best home security systems.
For a complete rundown of SimpliSafe and ADT monitoring services and pricing, check out our individual reviews, at :
SimpliSafe offers cheaper monitoring rates, but ADT Monitoring offers full redundancy with 6 company owned and operated monitoring stations and a comprehensive selection of security, video surveillance and home automation services.
SimpliSafe vs ADT Monitored Customer Service
ADT Authorized Provider – Safe Streets has been providing industry leading customer service for decades.
They have attained an A+ BBB rating by installing and servicing ADT monitored systems that include the exclusive ADT 6 month service guarantee. It states any service oriented issue will be resolved within 6 months, or the equipment will be removed and your money refunded. (certain restrrictions apply)
SimpliSafe offers a 60 day return policy.
Another close category as both companies provide exceptional customer service…but, the ADT Authorized Provider comes out on top with their 6 month service guarantee and a longer track record..
SimpliSafe vs ADT Monitoring Equipment and Technology
ADT Monitored Home Security Equipment
ADT Monitored equipment is professionally installed by background checked and fully trained technicians. The equipment is manufactured to the highest specifications by leading equipment suppliers.
Because they are using brand named equipment by some of the most trusted names in the industry, they offer a lifetime warranty and include the ADT 6 Month Service Guarantee (certain restrictions apply).
With an ADT monitored system, there is a tremendous selection of equipment available to meet virtually any security requirements….and because the equipment is not proprietary, it is compatible with most major home security companies, should one wish to switch companies in the future.
SimpliSafe Security Equipment
In contrast, SimpliSafe uses basic, proprietary equipment to keep their costs down. As a result, much of the equipment has a rather dated appearance…but, Simplisafe security systems still carry a 3 year warranty.
- 1 SimpliSafe2 Base Station
- 1 Wireless Keypad
- 1 Motion Sensor
- 4 Door/Window Sensors
- 1 Keychain Remote
- I Yard Sign(with no post), 2 Window stickers
SimpliSafe is currently available at Amazon for just $259.95!
There is no professional installation available-but, SimpliSafe equipment is fairly basic and easy to install.
However, the selection of equipment is very limited and there are no advanced home automation or video surveillance technologies availlable.
The ADT Authorized Provider, Safe Streets, provides a definitive edge in the equipment and technology category.
Their ADT Monitored Pulse® system provides slick and effective state of the art home automation technology- manufactured by industry leading providers … as opposed to the somewhat antiquated, proprietary equipment from SimpliSafe.
With no video or home automation capabilities available….SimpliSafe just doesn’t measure up in this category.
Price and Value – SimpliSafe vs. ADT
Although SimpliSafe has much cheaper monitoring rates, the upfront costs for a basic system are substantially higher.
In addition to lower upfront costs, ADT Monitored systems provide enhanced value-with capabilities that include:
- Video Surveillance
- 2-Way Voice
Nevertheless, despite higher up-front costs, and fewer features…SimpliSafe is clearly the low price value leader.
SimpliSafe vs. ADT Monitored Review Summary
SimpliSafe provides a basic, no-frills approach to security at an affordable price. The system is easy to install and provides basic home security without all the bells and whistles. If that is all you are looking for…they are a good choice
However…their equipment is proprietary.
If you change your mind…although you will not be contractually bound, their components will not be compatible with other systems.
Overall, most people may be happier with an ADT Monitored Security System. It bears the leading name in the industry for a lot of reasons.
- #1 Name in Home Security
- Professionally Installed
- Low Up-Front Costs
- 6 Monitoring Centers
- Name Brand Equipment
- 6 Month Service Guarantee (certain restrictions apply)
- $500 Theft Protection (certain restrictions apply)
- Relocation Program (certain restrictions apply)
In our opinion, ADT Monitored Systems deliver a better overall value for anyone looking for more than the most basic home security. They provide exceptional service and a full portfolio of professionally installed, brand name security and home automation equipment.
Combine that with the same caliber of monitoring that protects 6 Million homes and families with 6 Central Monitoring Centers …and ADT Monitored Security Systems earn a resounding victory in this matchup!
Call Now for a FREE Quote
SimpliSafe vs. ADT FAQs and Final Thoughts
SimpliSafe vs ADT - Which one is best for me?
So which is best for me- an ADT Monitored or SimpliSafe Home Security System?
In reality, each of these home security programs is designed to meet the needs of different consumers. While ADT Monitoring will likely appeal to a buyer looking for professional installation and all the bells and whistles. Simplisafe is for the Do It Yourselfer who is looking for basic home security. If you aren’t intimidated by technology and have no interest in home automation, video monitoring or touchscreen keypads- SimpliSafe is for you.
For more information on SimpliSafe, get more details in our SimpliSafe Review.
If you want lower up front investment, Professional Installation and access to the latest security technology-an ADT Moitored System is a better fit for you.
For more information on ADT Monitoring , check out our ADT Monitored Review,
Security System Design Tips
SimpliSafe vs ADT – Tips on Systems Design
Whether you choose an ADT Monitored System or Simplisafe most people want to incorporate as many layers of security protection as the budget will allow. The majority of the functions listed below are for the most part available in either system.
- Perimeter Protection – The first objective in putting together a plan for your home security system is perimeter protection. At this stage, the goal is to discourage prospective thieves from targeting your home with yard signs, window stickers, and visible outside cameras. When comparing SimpliSafe vs ADT monitored systems, ADT has a major advantage. The name recognition is much higher, and outdoor ADT cameras are available. With SimpliSafe, you are relegated to the SimpliSafe Doorbell camera or trying to modify the indoor SimpliCam for outdoor use. Either system should also include installing sensors on all doors as well as any vulnerable windows
- Interior Protection – Even a basic home security system should also include a second line of defense. The second priority is to detect an intruder if they are able to bypass doors and windows to gain entry into the home. Motion sensors should be strategically positioned in centralized areas where an intruder would naturally go. It might also be a good idea to place an extra keypad in the master bedroom or home office. Additionally, indoor security cameras can be mounted to observe or record activity.
- Asset Protection- Many home security owners place sensors on gun cabinets or liquor cabinets. These sensors can be set up as “non-reporting. This allows one to be notified through an APP on a smartphone if someone accesses items they are not supposed to…without setting off the alarm.
- Environmental Protection – Both companies can also be set up to monitor environmental hazards such as fire, carbon monoxide, flooding or freezing. Each company has specific sensors for each of these purposes.
- Home Automation- Security systems can serve as the primary hub to regulate lighting, cameras, heat and air conditioning, doors and garage door openers. When comparing SimpliSafe vs ADT, the latter has considerable edge when it comes to home automation. The ADT Pulse App is considerably more robust, and ADT systems have Z-Wave capabilities-allowing them to seamlessly integrate with many 3rd party home automation products. However, SimpliSafe has begun to bridge the gap with the SimpliCam, SimpliSafe Doorbell Pro and the SimpliSafe Smart Door Lock.
Switching SimpliSafe Monitoring
Comparing SimpliSafe vs ADT – Proprietary Equipment
Can I change monitoring companies with SimpliSafe?
SimpliSafe uses proprietary equipment that is specific to their company. So you are pretty much stuck with the equipment and will have to start over with another company.
ADT equipment can be used by most other security companies, if you wish to switch monitoring after the terms of your initial agreement are satisfied. If you are investing in a fair amount of equipment, this may be a major consideration when comparing SimpliSafe vs ADT.
Home Security Tips to Supplement a SimpliSafe or ADT Security System
Let’s face it, safeguarding your house is the primary purpose of purchasing either a SimpliSafe or an ADT Alarm system. In this in this SimpiSafe vs ADT security evaluation, we wish to share some basic steps you can take to better safeguard your house from burglars.
1. Eliminate hiding spots. Keep bushes cut near entryways as well as low lying windows.
2. Ensure that the outside is lit up well. Motion activated floodlights surrounding the home have the tendency to be a cost-effective deterrent.
3. Make the home appear inhabited when you are away. Put lights along with electronic devices on random timers to give the impression somebody is home. Have a next-door neighbor park their vehicle in your driveway.
4. If you are going on a trip, suspend paper and mail shipment, and make arrangements to have the yard cut.
5. Ensure costly products are not noticeable from the outdoors by drawing the blinds. You can discover the rest of our leading 10 House security pointers, here. Acquire a professionally monitored alarm. You will sleep much better with the knowledge that your home is protected. Hopefully, this SimpliSafe vs. ADT review has helped you decide which home security company is best for you!
Thank you for visiting. Please feel free to leave your comments and feedback on this SimpliSafe vs. ADT Monitored Security Review, below.
Benefits of owning ADT vs SimpliSafe
SimpliSafe vs ADT – Security Systems Added Benefits
Technological developments introduced in recent years have resulted in the evolution of home security into a more comprehensive safety, energy and house management system.
Security systems now offer many home automation features that add tremendous value to the systems. Below are just a few of the added potential benefits of choosing either SimpliSafe or ADT.
Beyond Basic Security
CO Protection- Fumes from running automobile engines, gas stoves, generators, badly maintained heating methods, burning charcoal or wood can be fatal if undetected. Although it is common for one suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning to become nauseous, dizzy, disoriented and too confused to summons emergency help… your security system will not be.
• Guard Against Freezing Pipes- A low-temperature sensor can protect against the possibility of pipes freezing if the heating system were to fail.
• Protection Against Flooding- Water detector can be put in the basement or laundry room to alert you of potential flooding problems from plumbing issues into leaking roofs to wet or flooding basements.
Comfort and Convenience • Manage Lighting- Set lights to turn on automatically when you rise from the AM…and turn off when you set the alert at night. You’ve got complete control right through your security system
• Control Appliances- Can you imagine having the ability to turn the coffee on out of your toaster? Or start the pot roast from the workplace? Well. Now you can with Z-Wave appliance modules(ADT Only) that can be controlled through your interactive security system.
Observe and Monitor
• Monitor Child Care- A wireless video camera could be installed to observe child behavior and monitor child care remotely from any computer, tablet computer or mobile device through the exact same user interface that you use to control your security system. Video cameras allow you to remotely monitor and watch everything that goes on when you are gone. Some cameras (feature not available on SimpliCam) even allow for 2 way communication.
• Monitor Gun Cabinets and Sensitive Areas-You can monitor valuables and especially sensitive regions without actually activating an alarm by using door sensors and placing them up as non-reporting zones, which won’t set off the alert, but that will activate an email notification. This will notify you that someone has got a gun cupboard, liquor cabinet, office drawer…or any other sensitive area that you might want to watch on…
• Take Stock of Medications- Sensors can also be installed to inform you in the event that they’re not activated. For instance, a sensor could be connected to the medicine cupboard and set to notify you if the cabinet were not opened by a specific moment. This makes it possible to keep tabs on if medications are being taken. . .and apprise you whenever they are not…
• Reduce Insurance Costs- Insurance businesses provide considerable discounts on Homeowner Insurance companies when the home is protected by a monitored home security system. While discounts differ from company to company and also the scope of this coverage-typical discount vary from 5-20% depending on the sort of system and the level of services which are supplied. Make sure that the insurance provider is aware of whether the machine is monitored and whether things like fire, flooding and freeze protection is included in the body. Your company should offer a certificate of setup detailing the kinds of services for that your system is tracked.
• Increase Resale Value-Though difficult to attach an actual price, most prospective home buyers perceive an alarm safety system as a desireable feature that adds substantial value to the home. For some buyers it is a “must have” that incorporates many “bells and whistles” that increase the emotional appeal of purchasing a “smart” house.
PEACE of Mind
You can not place a price on it…but, the number one advantage the majority of individuals are looking for when thinking about a home security and automation system is…Peace of Mind. They sleep better knowing the household is protected…and they have complete control of the house if they are home or away.
As you can see, whether you choose SimpliSafe or ADT monitoring, there are a number of features that you can enjoy, besides just having a burglar alarm. Feel free to share this SimpliSafe vs ADT comparison, and/or share your comments below.
Do ADT and SimpliSafe require a landline for monitoring?
SimpliSafe vs ADT – Monitoring Options
Neither SimpliSafe or ADT require a landline for monitoring. As a matter of fact, only cellular monitoring is available for SimpliSafe security systems.
This means there are no phone or cable wires that can be cut to interfere with sending an alarm signal to the monitoring station. However, if you live in an area where there is poor cellular service you are out of luck with SimpliSafe.
ADT offers landline, broadband, and cellular monitoring capability. Of course, cellular or cable connections are required for the ADT Pulse App. While some SimpliSafe vs ADT security reviews might merely justify the additional expense of a cellular connection, for those who live in areas with questionable cellular service, ADT’s landline service may be the only option.
SimpliSafe vs ADT - Security App Benefits?
7 Things SimpliSafe and ADT Pulse Security Apps Can Do.
Security systems have come along way over the past few years. Most security systems provide a central hub that gives you the ability to control virtually any connected device that is compatible with the system.
SimpliSafe vs ADT Security App – Benefits
Arm/Disarm System – Both ADT and SimpliSafe Apps let you arm and disarm your alarm from any mobile device.
Lock/Unlock Doors – You don’t have to place a spare key under the mat to in case you forget your keys, The ADT Pulse Alarm App enables you to unlock compatible door locks.
SimpliSafe vs ADT Pulse Security Cameras – Compatible Cameras allow you to record video or watch in real time- right through the app. Currently, only the ADT Pulse system has outdoor cameras available. Either indoor security camera lets you check in on your pets and keep an eye on the children as they arrive home from school.
Real-Time Alerts – Both alarm apps allow you to set real-time alerts that will notify you via text or e-mail when the kids get home, there is an intrusion, fire or any event you wish to program into the system.
Thermostat Control – The ADT Pulse app can even serve as a home energy management hub. It allows you to control the thermostat (SimpliSafe can use a 3rd party Nest device) and…
Turn Lights On/OFF – Both SimpliSafe and ADT can ensure that you never have to walk into a dark house.
Control Appliances – With either an ADT or SimpliSafe Security system, you can even start the coffee maker or an air conditioner from the office. You can come home to a warm cup of coffee and/or a cool house!
Is there a difference between SimpliSafe vs ADT arming options?
SimpliSafe vs ADT – Arming Modes
Essentially both ADT and SimpliSafe systems offer similar keypad functions on their monitored systems.
OFF – Whether you select ADT or SimpliSafe, even when your system isn’t armed the chime feature will still alert you if a door or window is opened. This can be very handy for folks who want to keep an eye on wandering youngsters. Also, life and environmental safety systems (such as smoke detectors) remain active whether the system is armed or not.
Stay– Both SimpliSafe and ADT allow you the ability to arm just the perimeter protection at the doors and windows by setting the system in the “stay” mode.
Away– The away mode will activate any interior motion detectors as well as the doors and windows.
Instant – You can eliminate the entry delay on either a SimpliSafe or ADT security system by arming it in instant mode.
Duress – You can set up a special duress code with both the ADT and SimpliSafe monitoring centers to signal a potential hostage situation. So when comparing SimpliSafe vs ADT, you can arm as little or as much of the system as you wish. The keypads offer basically the same options, although an ADT Pulse system with a touchscreen is more aesthetically pleasing and may make the system more user-friendly.
How can I keep my smart home safe from hackers?
ADT vs SimpliSafe – Keeping a Smart Home Safe from Hackers
Smart home devices, such as a SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro, the SimpliCam or an ADT Security Camera can increase the chances of having your system hacked.
As a result, it is a good idea to take extra precautions to ensure that your home network is properly secured.
6 Tips to Safeguard Your Smart Home
Research the Device
Whether you go with a SimpliSafe or ADT Alarm System, you want to make sure that any 3rd party devices follow standard security protocols and best practices. Invest in recognized home automation equipment. Quality smart devices will require password protection, one or two-step authentication and offer frequent over the air firmware and security updates.
Register the Equipment
Be sure that each device gets registered. Not only will this activate the warranty, but, it will ensure that you are receiving any firmware updates. Updates typically address any known security issues. Both ADT and SimpliSafe are capable of over the air update.
Pay Attention to Passwords
Don’t forget to change the default passwords. Good passwords will include a variety of letters, cases, numbers, and symbols.
Moreover, be sure to use unique passwords for each smart device. That way, the hacker can’t gain access to all your sensitive accounts if your password for one is compromised.
Create a Secure Wi-Fi Network
Whether you are getting ADT or SimpliSafe, it is important that you take steps to safeguard the entire home network. You want to be sure to change the name of the network and default password. Don’t include your address or any personal details.
You may want to consider setting up a Wi-Fi network specifically for your smart home appliances. This makes it harder for hackers to access the network where you do your banking and store your sensitive information.
Consider Professional Installation
When comparing SimpliSafe vs ADT, you may decide it just makes more sense to go with ADT to get professional installation. ADT technicians be able to help you incorporate some more advanced security measures.
Reset to Factory Default Settings
Before you dispose of, sell or give away any of your smart devices, make sure to remove all of your data.
SimpliSafe vs ADT Outdoor Cameras
Do both SimpliSafe and ADT have outdoor cameras?
When comparing SimpliSafe vs ADT, one of the key differences between the two is exterior cameras.
SimpliSafe does not offer an outdoor canmera. They have an outside mounting kit for their SimpliCam.
However, even the website does not recommend the SimpliCam for outside use. It might be acceptable when mounted under the roof of a porch in a temperate climate, but, it just isn’t designed for outdoor use. The SimpliSafe HD doorbell camera is your only other option. However, its applications are rather limited.
There are a myriad of option for 3rd party outdoor cameras, but none of these can be managed seemlessly through the SimpliSafe App.
Your ADT dealer can provide you with multiple camera options which arte better suited for exterior use. With ADT, you will be able to get the cameras professionally installed and manage them right through the ADT Pulse App.
Best Home Security Systems
Side by Side Comparisons of the Top Security Companies
* FREE Security System
ADT Terms and Conditions
Licenses: AL-17-1104, AK-35221, AZ-ROC217517, AR-2008-0014, CA-ACO6320, CT-ELC.0193944-L5, DE-07-212, FL-EC13003427, DC-602513000006, GA-LVA205395, HI-CT30946, ID-ELE-SC-39312, IL-127.001042, IN-City of Indianapolis: LAC-000156, IA-AC-0036, KY-City of Louisville: 483, LA-F1082, LA-F1914, LA-F1915, ME-LM50017382, MD-107-1626, MA-1355C, MI-3601205773, MN-TS01807, MS-15007958, MO-City of St. Louis: CC354, St. Louis County: 79853, MT-247, NE-14451, NV-68518, City of Las Vegas: 3000002944, NJ-34BF00021800, NM-353366, NY-Licensed by the N.Y.S. Dept. of State UID#12000317691, #12000286451, NC-1622-CSA, OH-53891446, City of Cincinnati: AC86, OK-1048, OR-170997, Pennsylvania Home Improvement Contractor Registration Number: PA22999, RI-3582, SC-BAC5630, SD-1025-7001-ET, TN-C1520, TX-B13734, ACR-3492, UT-6422596-6501, VT-ES-2382, VA-115120, WA-602588694/PROTEYH934RS, WV-042433, WI-City of Milwaukee: PAS-0002790, WY-LV-G-21499.
|ADT Pulse Remote installation starts at $199. ADT Pulse Video installation starts at $399. ADT Pulse Home Control with Video installation starts at $499. Burglary, Fire, Carbon Monoxide and Emergency Alert monitoring requires purchase and/or activation of an ADT security system with monitored Burglary, Fire, Carbon Monoxide and Emergency Alert devices. Fire, Carbon Monoxide and Emergency Alert services are an additional charge. Quality Service Plan (QSP) is ADT’s Extended Limited Warranty. 36-month monitoring contract required from ADT Pulse Remote: $52.99 per month, ($1,907.64), ADT Pulse Video: $58.99 per month, ($2,123.64), ADT Pulse Home Control with Video: $59.99 per month, ($2,159.64), including Quality Service Plan (QSP). Additional charges may apply in areas that require guard response service for municipal alarm verification. Prices subject to change. Prices may vary by market. Some insurance companies offer discounts on Homeowner’s Insurance. Please consult your insurance company. Local permit fees may be required. Satisfactory credit history required. Additional monitoring fees required for some services. Photos are for illustrative purposes only and may not reflect the exact product/service actually provided.
ADT Pulse Interactive Solutions Services, which help you manage your home environment and family lifestyle, require the purchase and/or activation of an ADT alarm system with monitored burglary service and a compatible computer, cell phone or PDA with Internet and email access. These ADT Pulse Interactive Solutions Services do not cover the operation or maintenance of any household equipment/systems that are connected to the ADT Pulse Interactive Solutions Services/Equipment. All ADT Pulse Interactive Solutions Services are not available with the various levels of ADT Pulse Interactive Solutions Services. All ADT Pulse Interactive Solutions Services may not be available in all geographic areas. You may be required to pay additional charges to purchase equipment required to utilize the ADT Pulse Interactive Solutions Services features you desire.