Best Apartment Security System – Renter’s Guide to Apartment Alarm Systems
Finding the Best Apartment Security System…a Renter’s Guide to Apartment Security
Do renters really need an Apartment security system? Absolutely. Statistically speaking, they are even more likely to become a victim of a break in than homeowners. But not all alarm companies will work with renters. That is why we set out to identify the best apartment security system for renters.
The rankings and ratings expressed on this site are the opinion of thehomesecurityadvisor.com and are subject to change. To keep this valuable service free, we generate advertising revenue from the companies featured in our rankings. Learn more.
Frontpoint – Best Overall – No Contract
- A+ BBB Rating
- 30 Day Risk Free Trial
- 100% Wireless System
- Landline Unavailable
Link Interactive – Best Tech Support
- A+ BBB Rating
- Equipment Selection
- Extensive Experience
- Self Install Only
SimpliSafe – Lowest DIY Security System Monitoring Rate
Prospective Apartment Security System buyer…. or current Apartment Alarm System owner?
Looking into apartment security to better safeguard your family and belongings?
Or perhaps you already bought alarm systems for apartments and wish to post or read reviews about the best apartment security systems…
The Home Security Advisor was developed to provide in depth information to assist you in uncovering the facts you need to help make well-informed decisions pertaining to home security…as well as furnish tips on some of the best ways to protect your property and loved ones.
In addition to providing comprehensive analysis and summary ratings, you’ll discover areas for comments and customer reviews, product comparisons with premier competitors, and FAQs …as well as:
- Tips for reducing false alarms
- Methods to cut costs on ones insurance premiums and…
- Many other benefits associated with owning an apartment security system
To help you discover more about apartment security and some of the most popular alarm systems for apartments, check out our handy table of contents, with “quick jump” hyperlinks that can assist you navigate straight to the particular sections that happen to be most important to your apartment security needs.
Not sure which Apartment Security System is right for you?
Find the Best Apartment Alarm System!
Take Our Simple Quiz to find your Security System For Apartments.
Apartment Security – Tips for Renters
In light of the fact that apartments and rental units may actually be more vulnerable to break ins, it is important that renters take additional measure to ensure that the property is secure.
Upgrade Door Locks
Make sure to inquire if the landlord has installed new locks. You cannot be sure that the previous tenant or someone they know does not still have a copy of a key floating around. If they haven’t or won’t, see if they will allow you to swap out the lock and provide them with copies of the key.
This is also a good time to discuss the possibility of installing a secondary deadbolt or chain link lock. Make sure that strike plates are solid and installed properly to ensure the integrity of the lock.
Also- make sure that the door has a peep hole so that you can identify anyone at the door.
Hang Curtains or Blinds
Make sure that you install curtains or blinds that will obstruct the view of your apartment and valuables from the outside. Especially in ground level apartments, it is important to conceal any items of value from prying eyes. Make sure to close them when you are away or sleeping.
Reinforce Sliding Doors
Sliding glass doors provide lots of sunshine and visibility, but they can also be extremely vulnerable. The locks are rarely very effective and they can be easily pried open or slid off the tracks. Additional measures should be taken to supplement the existing locks such as installing a secondary lock and/or placing a rod inside the track to prevent the door from sliding.
Store Valuables in a Hidden Safe or Safety Deposit Box
If an intruder is able to gain entry, it is best to make it as difficult as possible to make off with your valuables. Consider investing in a safe which can be hidden away and bolted down. (make sure to get landlord approval). Or if this is not possible, get a safe deposit box to secure cash, sensitive documents expensive jewelry or other irreplaceable items.
Typically, an intruder is looking to quickly identify small items of value and escape as quickly as possible.
Obtain Renter’s Insurance
While the property is typically covered by the landlord’s insurance , in most cases it will not cover the value of your belongings. In addition to the prospect of a loss due to a break in, it is important to consider the prospective total loss due to a fire. A relatively small monthly payment can prevent a financial disaster in the event of a significant loss.
Beyond the Apartment Security System
Top 10 General Safety Tips for Renters
Below some basic steps to safeguard your apartment or rental from burglars.
1. Make certain to close as well as secure all doors and windows at night and when you’re away from the apartment. Installing even the best apartment alarm systems will do little to prevent thieves from stealing your valuables if you leave the front door unlocked.
2. Ask your landlord to strengthen doors by using deadbolt locks with high quality strike plates that have a minimum 1 inch throw.
3. Sliding glass entry doors are a fairly easy target. To prevent burglars from forcing them open, place a metal rod or piece of lumber in the track and set up vertical bolts.
4. Clear away hiding places and enhance the apartment security system by having landlord keep shrubs trimmed close to entrances and windows.
5. Ensure that that the exterior will be properly illuminated. Motion floodlights around the perimeter will be an economical deterrent.
6. Try to make the apartment appear occupied. Set lights and electronics on random electronic timers to provide the appearance somebody is home. Have a neighbor park his or her car in your driveway.
7. If you’re going away, make sure that you activate your apartment alarm system and have a neighbor keep an eye out.
8. Make certain expensive goods are not exposed from the outside by drawing the shades. Alarm systems for apartments cannot prevent “smash and grab” intrusions-especially on first floor apartments.
9. You should not leave a key under the door mat, plant pot etc. around the front door. Leaving a key above the door is poor apartment security.
10. Do not leave a message announcing vacation plans on the answering machine, e-mail auto-responder, or on social media sites. Do let the police and a trusted next door neighbor know.. and have them keep an eye on your property as you are gone.
Purchase a professionally monitored apartment security system. You should rest better knowing your home is safeguarded.
Security Tips Video for Best Apartment Security Systems Owners
Install A Wireless Apartment Security System
Although there was a time when security systems were cost prohibitive and required cutting holes in the walls, drilling and fishing wires, modern day security is wireless and has become much more affordable. Some systems can be self installed, require little or no money down and can be professionally monitored for less than $20 a month.
In addition to protecting against break ins, these systems offer a number of additional benefits.
Alarms for Apartments– Benefits Beyond Preventing Break Ins
We have all seen the statistics about homes with security systems being 300% less likely to be targeted by burglars. But, alarm systems for apartments offer many other benefits as well.
Environmental Protection – Apartment Security for Assets and Personal Safety
In addition to keeping your family and your belongings safe and secure,a security system can help protect against:
- Fires- A monitored smoke detector will alert you and the authorities that there is a problem.
- Carbon Monoxide- CO is an odorless gas that is almost undetectable.
- Frozen Pipes- Low temperature sensor can detect if the temperature drops below 45°-before pipes can freeze or burst.
- Flood Detection- Sensors can detect water from burst pipes or flooded cellars.
Home Automation for Apartment Alarm Systems
A quality modern wireless security system is jam packed with the latest technology to make everyday living more convenient. Alarm systems for apartments offer interactive mobile apps and the latest Z-Wave communication technology to enable you to remotely manage and control:
- Lighting and Small Appliances
- Surveillence Cameras
The possibilities are endless. You can create scenes where you unlock the door, turn off the alarm, turn on the lights turn up the heat and start the coffee….all at the touch of a button on your iOS, Android or Blackberry mobile device.
Apartment Security System Equipment
Following are some of the common components found in quality alarms for apartments.
Apartment Alarm System Door Sensors
Wireless sensors that will notify you when a door or window is opened.
Apartment Security Smoke Sensor
Detects extreme temperature change and smoke for maximum fire protection.
Apartment Security System Thermostat
Z-Wave controls compatible smart thermostats.
Alarms for Apartments Motion Sensor
Pet-friendly sensor that detects movement of objects that exceed 40 lbs.
Indoor Video Camera
Apartment Security Camera
Indoor wireless video camera with “night vision” and motion detection.
Criteria for finding the Best Apartment Security System
In determining the best system for a rental situation, there are a number of criteria that need to be addressed. One needs to consider the following.
Monitored or Un-monitored alarm for apartments
While there are many cheap self monitored systems available in the marketplace, they all rely on either a neighbor (in the case of a system that just sounds an alarm) or you to report the problem. This means that someone has to be available 24/7 to respond to an emergency.
This certainly isn’t a reasonable expectation of a neighbor…nor are most people available around the clock to respond to alerts or notifications on their mobile phones.
Think about it… what happens when:
- You are driving?
- On a plane?
- In a meeting?
- Outside of cellular service range?
- Phone is off or discharged?
There are a myriad of situations in which one might not easily be able to respond.
While no one likes extra bills, most folks would agree that it is worth a dollar or two a day to know that a trained professional is there to respond to an emergency.
That is why the scope of this review will be limited to examining the best professional monitored security systems.
If you are only interested in a self-monitored system, we recommend you take a look at the SimpliSafe Reviews. (after reading through this guide)
Wireless Security for Apartments
A security system in a condo or apartment unit certainly can’t be hardwired. I doubt that any landlord, condominium complex or apartment complex manager would approve of drilling holes, cutting walls , fishing or stapling wires to the walls. Fortunately, most of the best alarm systems today are wireless.
The control panels (the brains and hub of the system) come with an attractive desk mounted stand and are often 100% wireless. They usually contain cellular chips…so the can just be plugged into a standard power receptacle and you are good to go.
Sensors can be placed anywhere and are typically equipped with commercial quality 3-M double stick adhesive strips so that no drilling holes or screws are necessary.
Ease of Installation- Security Systems for Apartments Depend on it
Because they are wireless, these DIY security systems are a breeze to install. All of our top recommended alarm systems for apartment dwellers are pre-configured and programmed before they are shipped out.
All you have to do is place the sensors..plug it in and call in the company to activate the system.
Ease of Relocating Apartment Security
Most people rent because they want the freedom to move or relocate, without being tied to a mortgage. Consequently, they move more frequently.
Therefore, the ability to easily relocate the system is especially important. Our top rated alarm companies make it easy. Just notify them of the date and change of address and they take care of it. Some even send you out a “moving kit” with packing for your equipment and new adhesive for the sensors.
How We Ranked the Best Alarm Systems for Apartments
Even though there are actually countless variables evaluated, the exact HSA Ranking Method is determined by five principal considerations:
- Reputation and Credibility- We examine the way organizations are ranked with the Better Business Bureau, web based feedback from customers,the length of time they’ve been operating a business, subscriber base, SDM standing and so on.
- Monitoring – The following factors are taken into consideration. Monthly monitoring fees as well as duration of contracts, the qualifications, caliber and redundancy of the monitoring stations-as along with the types of services that are offered.
- Customer Support – We take into account elements such as the ease of connecting, BBB scores, web based evaluations, equipment warranty information and return policies to ascertain the quality of the post sale customer experience.
- Equipment and Technology -…undoubtedly are a key consideration. Are you provided with brand name equipment? Does the company offer you home automation, video monitoring, remote accessibility and interactivity as well as the most up-to-date components and home automation products and services?
- Price and Value – Last but not least, we appraise the all round value proposition determined by up front equipment as well as optional components. We factor in monthly monitoring rates as well as set up, activation, installation costs, extended service and warranty considerations.
To get more detailed information on our rating criteria visit How We Rank.
Top Security Systems for Apartments
With so many options out there, it isn’t easy selecting the best security system for renters. There has been a recent upsurge of self-monitored systems to enter the marketplace…but, these all depend on someone being available 24/7 to take action when a signal is received.
For maximum benefits and peace of mind, we have selected the following monitored security systems.
The Best Apartment Security System for Renters
Frontpoint Security- No Contract Security Systems for Renters
Frontpoint clearly dominates the DIY alarm category and boasts an A+ BBB rating. They are renowned for their customer service and are at or near the top of almost every ranking list year in and year out.
They have a tailored home or apartment security system that best meets the needs of renters by offering a NO CONTRACT monitoring agreement.
Equipment and Monitoring
Frontpoint offers state-of-the-art home security equipment with cellular communication- even on their standard equipment package.
Unlike many alarm companies, Frontpoint is very transparent. Major components have full pricing and descriptions listed on their site. Monitoring costs are clearly spelled out and run from $34.95-$49.95.
Frontpoint includes 100% cellular monitoring in all their plans, which is the most secure form of communication as there are no cables or phone lines that can be easily compromised. It also makes the system portable and very easy to relocate.
Summary – Frontpoint Excels in Apartment Security
Frontpoint offers a simple, transparent online process for obtaining home security.
All pricing, terms, and options are readily available for comparison…and they enjoy an impeccable A+ BBB rating. Their systems are 100% wireless and come pre-programmed and fully configured –so all you have to do is mount the sensors, and call in to activate.
They provide low-pressure phone sales support and system design assistance and offer a 30 day, no questions asked return policy.
The folks at Frontpoint have a stellar reputation for delivering superior security solutions and home automation products.
Their customer service is second to none.
Call For FREE Quote- 844-688-2894
Link Interactive Security- Most Options for Apartment Security System for Renters
Link Interactive is owned by Mountain Alarm which has over 60 years of experience in home security sales, service, and installation.
With an A+ BBB rating…and an astounding 98% customer approval rating, you can sleep well at night knowing your home is protected by a company that knows how to take care of their customers.
Does Link have the Best Apartment Security System for Renters?
Because renters typically move more often than homeowners, most home security companies consider them a higher risk to cancel. Most home security companies subsidize the upfront costs of equipment in the expectation of earning their profits over the long hail through their monthly monitoring payment.
That is why an apartment security system is typically more expensive upfront. As a matter of fact, many security companies won’t even install alarm systems for apartments at all….or they require that you pay for expensive equipment upfront.
Link Interactive is unique in that they offer the same outstanding program for homeowners and renters alike.
This allows you to get the best security system available…without exorbitant upfront costs!
Apartment Security by Link Interactive
Link Interactive systems are comprised of state-of-the-art wireless security systems from 2GIG Technologies.
In addition to top-notch equipment at very competitive prices, Link Interactive offers premium monitoring features that include:
- Crash and Smash
- Geo Location
- 2-Way Voice
- Alarm.com Interactive Services
- AND full home automation
All for just $41.99 a month.
Along with having unbeatable prices and a very extensive equipment selection, they have an experienced installation and tech support team to ensure that the system gets installed right!
Don’t need all the bells and whistles? Link Interactive has you covered there as well…with cellular plans that start at just 30.99/mo.
For exceptional service, equipment, and all-inclusive monitoring rates…check out Link Interactive!
Call 866-302-6138 for FREE Quote!
Summary – The Best Apartment Security System is….
In the days before the advent of DIY wireless security systems, options were somewhat limited when it came to apartment security.
Now, there are a number of great options for a quality apartment security system at very reasonable rates which make it affordable for anyone to enjoy the peace of mind that comes with knowing a quality security company is there 24/7 to help protect their family and belongings.
Frontpoint Security stands out above the rest because they offer the same great program that makes them a No. 1 Pick in home security, to renters looking for alarm systems for an apartment! With no Contracts…No Credit checks.
So until someone else steps up to the plate with a better offer…Frontpoint Security holds the title for Best Apartment Security System!
Check out Frontpoint Security, today!
See our Frontpoint Reviews
Finding the Best Apartment Security Systems for Renters Video
Apartment Security -Frequently Asked Questions
Designing the Ultimate Apartment Security System
Designing the Best Apartment Security System
The Best apartment alarm systems will provide multiple layers of protection. Budget will likely dictate how much can be invested in each area. Don’t forget to get permnission from the landlord or apartment management group before installing any sort of alarm system for the apartmet.
Apartment Alarm Systems– Layers of Protection
- Perimeter Protection – If you concerned with security for apartments, your first priority is protecting the perimeter of your property. A good apartment alarm system will start with window stickers, aa well as yard signs and outdoor security cameras if it is a home rental property. Every apartment security system should include door sensors at all entrances and sensors on at least the most vulnerable windows. Many of the best alarm systems for renters also incorporate door locks which can be controlled through the smartphone app.
- Interior Protection – Good security system for apartments will also include a second line of defense designed to detect an intruder if they get past the perimeter protection. Motion sensors should be strategically positioned to protect large common areas. Many of the best security systems for apartments even have voice control or work with Google or Alexa so that you can control the system with voice commands. Additionally, apartment security system cameras can be positioned anywhere where one might want to record or view activity.
- Asset Protection- Sensors can also be installed to protect other areas of interest such as gun cabinets or an office that contains sensitive information. The better apartment alarm systems let you configure individual sensors as “non-reporting. That way, if they are triggered, the system will send a notification through the smartphone app, without setting off the alarm. Many apartment security system reviews have found this feature useful to monitoring room mates raiding liquor cabinets…
- Environmental Protection – The best home security systems for renters can also help you protect your home and family from environmental dangers such as fire, carbon monoxide, flooding or freezing. Top alarm companies have different sensors for each of these applications.
- Home Automation- Apartment security systems can also serve as the primary hub for home automation. A good apartment alarm system can control lighting, surveillance cameras, thermostats, doors and garage door openers- all in one place. Security systems for apartments provide systems that control essentially any home automation function at the touch of a button.
So, what is the best apartment security system for you? That depends on your priorities and budget. We feel that Fronpoint’s NEW No Contract option is a must see!
Tips for Customizing Security Systems for Renters
Top 5 Ways to Customize Apartment Security Systems
Before deciding on how to best customize your apartment alarm system, be sure that the company you are working with can provide the equipment you require for a fully customized and cost-effective system. To get the most bang for your buck, make sure the system can accommodate all or most of the multi-function components described below.
1 The best apartment security companies oﬀer a full line of “take-over” devices that allow you to upgrade your current security equipment to the most advanced system available. If you are upgrading a system with a fair amount of existing equipment, this is an important consideration.
2 Top apartment alarm companies offer multiple specialized sensor options for your doors and windows include recessed, plunger, and bypass – providing custom solutions for nearly any installation scenario. However, be sure to check with your landlord or the management company before drilling holes.
3 If your apartment or rental unit has a garage, it is optimal to be able to open and close your garage door with the same keyfob you use for your apartment alarm system. You can also control it with a smartphone thanks to Z-wave products that interface with most garage door brands.
4 Protect your rental home from frozen and broken water pipes and furnace and air conditioning failure with this multi-purpose sensor. Check to see if multi-function sensors are available with your home security system.
5 Triple-duty detectors can activate your apartment alarm system when it senses smoke and high and low temperatures.
Cancelling an Apartment Alarm System Contract
How to end an Apartment Security System agreement
Just about all home security organizations require a 3 to 5-year monitoring written contract. These are typically not the best alarm system for apartment renters…especially if it needs to be professionally installed.
If it is a wireless DIY system it can be easily taken down and re-installed in the next apartment. These are the best apartment security systems for renters.
Some renters end up trying to bundle services with their local cable company. While it may sound like a good idea to try and save some money, problems often arise when it comes time to move. It can be problematic having to relocate an apartment alarm system beyond the service area of the cable company.
In many cases, DIY home security system providers provide fourteen, thirty or maybe even 60-day return policy.
However, if you happen to get the apartment security system installed, it is important to move quickly to make sure you cancel the agreement within three days of the time period the deal had been signed. Once beyond the return period, an individual is usually liable for all, or the overwhelming majority of the monitoring payments with respect to the entire duration of the contract, regardless of whether you relocate outside the operation areas of the provider.
When looking at home security systems for apartments, make sure that you have a crystal clear understanding of your obligations to your before making a commitment.
Evaluate terms regarding your Apartment Alarm agreement
When reviewing alarm systems for apartment renters, there can be a number of the troublesome areas with regards to contractual obligations.
Escalation clauses- Some organizations maintain the right to raise the monitoring cost following the initial year…even if the apartment security system contract term is longer.
Auto Renewal Clauses – Certain legal contracts automatically renew on a yearly basis after the preliminary term is over except in cases where the individual legally cancels the agreement and fulfills essential terms and conditions associated with termination. This often catches apartment alarm systems owners by surprise when they think they have met the initial contract terms.
Contract termination Conditions – All too often times, the deal needs to be terminated in writing, Thirty or even Two months prior to the end of the actual written contract. Even if you feel that you have the best apartment security system for your situation, make sure that you get hold of your service provider’s customer service and understand just what exactly important factors need be fulfilled so that you can end the binding agreement.
How to Avoid Issues with your Apartment Security System Service Provider
When the time comes to terminate your contract, make certain you take all of the mandatory actions and document the steps you have taken.
It is recommended that everyone:
Call- and make sure to keep track of the call with times and with contact info
Mail- Mail out notification by way of certified postal service
E-Mail- using “read “receipt Make sure that all of the steps are recorded and save them where they’ll easily be retrieved in cases where there is a disagreement.
Also- you’ll want to monitor your bank account to ensure that there aren’t any automatic debits subsequent to the specified time frame. Good communication and full documentation are key to a smooth transition to moving on to your next apartment alarm system.
Switching to your next company and finding the Best Alarm Systems for Apartments
Following your experience with your first apartment alarm system, you are almost certainly going to have a far better idea of what your optimal service provider should be like.
Our short home and apartment security system security questionnaire will assist you to identify the choices.
Apartment Alarm System Arming Modes
Apartment Security System Arming Modes
OFF — When your apartment alarm system is switched off, many of the sensors are still active. The best home security systems for apartments will still alert you if a doorway or window is opened. Additionally, environmental and life security systems (i.e. water or low temperature) are still active. Consequently, if a fire breaks out or there are excessive carbon monoxide emissions present, your system will still alert the central monitoring station.
Stay– You can arm just the windows and doors by arming alarms for apartments in the”stay” mode. This will let you move about the home freely and have a certain degree of protection.
Away– The away mode will trigger any interior motion detectors in addition to the windows and doors.
Instant — You are able to eliminate the entry delay in most security systems for renters arming it in instant mode.
Duress – You may establish a special duress code which will notify the monitoring station of a possible hostage situation. If a person were to physically make you disarm your apartment security system , this code will activate immediate emergency response.
Panic – Most apartment alarm systems are equipped with panic buttons for police, fire or medical emergencies
If you already own an apartment security system, please don’t hesitate to leave your comments on which apartment alarm system you chose in our section for apartment security system reviews.
Apartment Alarm System Arming Options
Arming Modes of the Best Apartment Security Systems
Runner Up for Best Apartment Security System-Revision
2018 Update to Armorax for Apartment Security Systems
Much of our initial interest pertaining to Armorax has now diminished as the company continues to show signs that it’s having difficulties.
The Better Business Bureau standing has dropped off noticeably coming from an A(from the period of this Apartment Security Guide)to a C+.
This in turn is usually a symptom of the fact that company has not responded to buyers complaints-even when they are filed using the BBB.
As part of our secret shopping endeavors, we have discovered that even the sales representative doesn’t pick up calls. Incoming inquiries are usually handled by way of a voicemail that instructs one to dial 911 should this be an emergency…or to stay on the line for the product sales department.
After a few minutes on hold, one is subsequently transferred to an answering service that’ll demand a name along with number for a return call.
This makes one wonder what will happen if I have a problem with my security system?
Furthermore, Armorax seems to have switched vendors three times over the last calendar year.
They have changed from the state-of-the-art 2 Gig systems, temporarily marketed the Interlogix Simon XT, and are now offering the less popular Resolution Helix control panel.
They also have dramatically changed their monitoring price structure 3 times during the past year.
With regard to online Armorax reviews, you will see that basically, no 2 sites show a similar pricing structure.
They previously made available no contract plans and also services with No cost equipment and monitoring rates as low as $19.99/mo.
Their current promotion costs $99.00 up-front and additionally standard monitoring starts at $34.99 and the Mobile APP is extra!
Lack of Transparency
In addition, the total absence of online transparency does nothing to generate confidence.
Presently there’s a single page site that features little information about the firm background, products, costs, monitoring provider as well as services, Mobile App, Unit installation guidelines or even videos …or just about anything otherwise that a prospective client may want to appreciate.
While the company displayed great promise originally, we are no longer enthusiastic about them as one of the best options for an apartment alarm system. In our judgment, you can find much better solutions.
Armorax Security – No Contract Apartment Security
NOTE: 7/18/17 – Armorax is in the process of updating their program. For details on current available options, contact them directly. Armorax is a relatively new name in the home security business- but they are shaking up the alarm industry. While they do offer a free system with a 36 month agreement to homeowners, they recognize that renters have different needs. They have tailored a program specifically to meet the needs for renters. Armorax offers a top of the line wireless security system, the 2Gig Technologies GC2 for just $499 -with comprehensive Cellular Monitoring for just $17.95….and no long term contract commitment! That’s right. That is not a misprint. Cellular monitoring with FULL home automation and interactive services for $17.95. Armorax monitoring includes:
- Interactive Services- Arm/Disarm/Notifications and Alerts
- Comprehensive Home Automation
- Video Surveillance Monitoring/Management
- Crash and Smash
- Geo Services….and more.
All for $17.95/mo.
Armorax recognized as Top DIY Alarm Company
With a comprehensive interactive cellular monitoring rate of just $17.95/mo., Armorax is taking the home security industry by storm. And they don’t stop there. They combine low,low monitoring rates with the top of the line, 2 Gig Technologies Go! Control system! We were so impressed, we awarded Armorax our Silver Award as one of the Best Home Alarm Companies of 2017. How did Armorax catapult into the Top 5? Simple. They offer the best for less. For details see our Armorax Security Review.
Armorax uses the award winning interactive platform provided by Alarm.com. It is by far the most stable and feature rich interactive platform and is available, with no contract for just $17.95. It includes:
- Smash and Crash Protection– alerts the central station of an intrusion- even if the system is destroyed
- Geo Fencing– uses GPS location on your cell phone to automatically control security and home automation functions
- Power Outage Notification – if there is loss of power, the system sends you an alert
These features are nicely showcased by the Armorax Blackbox. It features a premium touchscreen 2Gig GC2 control panel which can display local weather 5 day forecasts and provide severe weather warnings in an emergency. The GC2 is equipped with an integrated Z-Wave communication module which enables comprehensive home automation and management capability of virtually any Z-Wave compatible device! Want a full 7″ touchscreen display? For a nominal fee of just $49.95 you upgrade to the GC3, which gives you additional features and capabilities and a larger display.
Armorax provides top of the line, DIY Alarm and home automation products with rock bottom cellular monitoring rates that include Alarm.com services. Their no contract plan is just $499 and features the premium 2Gig GC2 system with full featured monitoring services for $17.95/mo. Get More Info on Armorax Home Security Systems Read our Full Review Call For FREE Quote- 866-355-0640
Do alarms for apartments need a phone line?
Apartment Security System Monitoring Options
An apartment alarm system does not require a landline for monitoring.
Interestingly, cellular monitoring is the best way of monitoring an apartment security system. That way there are no phone or cable wires which can be compromised with a simple set of wire-cutters.
While some apartment alarm system reviews might balk at the higher cost of a cellular connection, this is a small price to pay to have the best apartment security system.
How to avoid false alarms with your apartment security system.
Ways to Steer clear of False Alarms with your Apartment Security System
False alarms caused by alarm systems for apartments may lead to costly penalties or fees if you exceed a certain amount of false alarms.
Most communities will allow one or two…but after that, they will start to impose additional fees.
To prevent this from happening to you, these are some recommendations for preventing a false alarm with your apartment alarm system.
• Make sure everybody knows how to disarm the apartment alarm system. Your alarm will have a master passcode, along with a number of supplemental individual codes that can be programmed into the system. Ensure that everybody knows their code and understands how to disarm the system.
• Be sure that everyone also has learned the password. If there is an alarm, the central monitoring station is going to in most cases call your property initially and request the security password to confirm that the person picking up is really an authorized party. In the instance of an alarm, if the person replying to the telephone call can’t supply the exact security password, the police are going to be dispatched.
• Verify that all windows and doors are properly shut before setting the system. Any doors that have been left slightly ajar can be blown open and set off the alarm.
• Ensure that all sensors are set up solidly and in the most suitable positions. Motion detectors need to be attached at a height of 6’ as well as away from the fans, heating elements, fireplace, and air conditioning units.
• Pay attention to things that might set off a motion sensor. In addition to pets, AC units might cause fluttering curtains or plants and even helium balloons can be problematic as they could be transported within your home by way of air currents. Confirm they are tied down away from motions.
• Ideally, pets should be confined to areas clear of motion detectors. Should this be simply not feasible, you can get “pet-friendly” or “pet immune” detectors which are able to screen out smaller pets below 40, 50 even 80 lbs.
• You’ll want to replace batteries when required. The majority of apartment alarm systems use Li-Ion batteries which usually have at a minimum a two-year anticipated lifespan. Your system will commonly advise you the moment the batteries are becoming low and then continue to alert you should there be less than thirty days of effective life. It may be beneficial to have spare batteries around and replace them without delay.
Your system will likely advise you should there be just about every other failure of sensors. If you get a system error notification, perform a status check to check out the sensor.
Speak to your service provider whenever it looks like it’s not working. Make sure that your user manuals/codes/passwords for your Apartment Security System are in a safe and secure spot where they might be checked if necessary. Although, the ideal way to avert false alarms is to utilize your system consistently and make certain everyone understands how to operate the system.
Avoiding False Alarms with the Best Apartment Alarm Systems
Top 5 Tips to Avoid False Alarms with the Best Apartment Security Systems
Know How to Arm/Disarm System
Make sure all users know how to use the Apps, Key Fobs and have memorized the 4-digit code.
Remember the Password
If the system goes off, the central monitoring station will call to verify and request your secret password. Ensure that all authorized users know it.
Make Sure that Sensors are Securely Mounted
Be sure that your motion detectors and sensors are properly mounted and clear of obstructions.
Properly Secure Doors and Windows
Make sure that all doors and windows are closed tightly before arming the Apartment Alarm System.
Maintaining the Apartment Alarm System
Test the security system as recommended and be sure to keep fresh batteries on hand. For more details on Apartment Security Systems, Apartment Alarm System Reviews and Apartment Security Devices and Cameras, visit The Home Security Advisor.
What are some of the other benefits of purchasing apartment security?
8 Added benefits of purchasing an Apartment Security System
An Apartment Alarm System is not just a burglar alarm system. Security for apartments can include a whole range of features and benefits which home security systems for renters might enjoy.
- In addition to protecting against break ins, an apartment security system can safeguard against fire. According to the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association), a fire breaks out just about every 24 seconds in the US. In 2014 there had been almost 1.3 million fires documented, causing in excess of 13,000 injuries. Nearly 3000 proved to be fatal. In addition, they contributed to practically 10 billion dollars of property damage. Monitored apartment security systems make certain that heat, fire and smoke are detected at the earliest possible time, and that the fire department will be quickly notified – whether you are home or not. You might not be there to shield your property, pets and treasured ones…but your apartment alarm system will assure that help is on the way.
- Early Flood Detection – An apartment alarm systems can be equipped with a water detector which may be put in the laundry area to be able to alert you of potential leaking pipes before they can cause any damage.
- Health-Related Emergencies- Medical alert pendants or wrist watches can be utilized in an apartment security system that can enable seniors, as well as people that have unique needs, to be able to promptly summons assistance in the event of an accident or healthcare emergency situation. These wireless panic alert buttons will be able to generally function within about 100’ of the base unit, and enable an individual to talk directly with the highly trained monitoring station staff if equipped with 2 way voice communication.
Alarm Systems for Apartments are convenient
Apartment Security Systems can help you control everyday tasks and manage the household more efficiently. Apartment alarms systems can:
- Control Temperature – An apartment alarm system can automate temperature settings and also control the temperature range in your home from any place in the world by that has internet access. With the use of a mobile app you can manage the thermostat remotely and create timers to match your typical way of living. They can be set to adjust the system whenever you arm or disarm your system.
- Oversee Lighting- Security systems for apartments can even adjust lighting. Set your lights on auto-pilot to switch on whenever you rise in the morning …and turn off as soon as you set the alarm system during the night time.
- Command Appliances – Could you imagine being able to turn the coffee on from your own bedside keypad? Or how about starting the slow-cooker from the office? Equip your apartment alarm system with Z-Wave home appliance modules and you are good to go.
Observe and Monitor with a Security Camera for the Apartment
- Keep an eye on the kids – A wireless apartment security camera could be set up so that you can check on the kids and keep an eye on the nanny.
- Observe Pets- Have you ever wondered what Rover does when you are away from the house? An apartment security camera can help you keep an eye on everything that is happening while you’re away. Some surveillance cameras actually permit two-way communication -allowing you to train pest to stay off the expensive furniture.
An Apartment Security System keeps you informed
You don’t necessarily want to call the police, but you do want to make sure prying eyes and curious kids or guests stay where they should. You can easily keep track of valuables as well as exceptionally sensitive areas without triggering a security alarm by utilizing door sensors and programming them as “non-reporting zones”. These won’t trigger the home security system, but that will generate an e-mail notification. This could alert you that somebody has opened a gun cabinet, liquor cabinet, home office drawer …or some other sensitive area that you desire to keep tabs on…
Apartment Alarm Systems are Affordable
Many people are amazed at just how affordable that security systems for apartments can be. While it was once that even a standard home security system would probably end up costing thousands of dollars, companies such as Protect America, Fromtpoint and Armorax security have made all-inclusive security and feature rich household automation systems affordable for pretty much anybody!
An Apartment Security System delivers Peace of Mind
You can’t put a price tag on it…but, the most recognized benefit everybody is searching for when contemplating a home security and automation system is…Peace of Mind. They sleep at night better knowing the household is safeguarded …and that they have complete command over the property when they are home or away. To find out precisely how economical peace of mind could be..contact any of our selections listed above for the Best Apartment Security systems.
Can alarm systems for apartments be professionally installed?
Can an Apartment Security System be professionally installed?
Most security companies that do professional installation require home ownership.
However, because systems are primarily wireless these days, there are some companies that will install an apartment alarm system for renters with excellent credit if they have landlord permission. For the most part, however, we recommend DIT security solutions for renter looking for a security system for an apartment.
Let’s take a look at the pros and cons.
DIY as opposed to Expert Set up?
One of the initial considerations is whether or not you wish to set up the unit on your own or possibly provide for an expert installation. Traditionally, systems had to be hardwired into the property. This could entail drilling along with cutting openings in your walls, fishing wires and complicated mounting and considerable programming. Obviously this would not be apprropriate for most renters.
However…times surely have changed. In fact even companies which will professionally set up the systems are increasingly utilizing for the most part wireless devices. The technology has advanced through the years to help make the products especially user-friendly…and simple to install.
The more experienced DIY alarm system providers have drastically streamlined the setup methods in order to keep it simple for even the most technologically challenged homeowners. The better companies will pre-program the total system prior to mailing it out, to make sure that all the customer will have to do is position the equipment and then call in to get the system turned on.
More than 90% of homeowners revealed our best Do it yourself security alarms systems straightforward to install!
Potential benefits to Do it yourself Apartment Alarm System
• No Set up Costs
– Save yourself 100s
• Reduced Add-on Components Price points – Commonly nearly half
• Virtually no Waiting or Scheduling – No reason to take time off from work
• Increases System Familiarity
• Simple and easy to Relocate
Benefits associated with Professional Install of an Apartment Security System
• Less Time and effort
• Additional Experience
Although a professionally installed system might entail less effort, Most people found DIY alarms very easy to put in, convenient to use and ended up saving consumers a significant sum compared to a professionally installed system.
Response Times for an Apartment Security System
How Long Will It Take for Apartment Alarm Systems to Respond to a break-in?
Despite the fact that almost every service provider says it will will have the speediest reaction time in the industry, one must know how to interpret these kind of claims. Alarm systems for apartments usually employ a 30-60 second entry delay on your primary entry in order to permit you enough time to disarm the system. Security systems for apartments can also be used on “Instant” function whenever everybody is home. The siren will go off immediately after whatever delay when the system is not disarmed. Apartment security monitoring center response times are generally estimated from the time a signal is delivered to the point in time the monitoring center contacts your house to confirm the alert. These times definitely ought to be under a 60 seconds. In the event that no one answers from the household, in most situations, they are going to attempt to contact someone listed on the emergency contact list …and they then dispatch the authorities. Each activity ought to be time stamped and transcribed from the monitoring center. Even though you can find apartment security reviews which complain about higher reaction times, most of the most effective home security companies actually do a pretty good job – so long as things are functioning properly. Most companies that sell apartment alarm systems recommend that your chosen system is is tested out each week or perhaps on a monthly schedule to assure alarm along with communications are actually working correctly. Nationally, the standard response time by the authorities is about seven minutes, however, this may vary substantially according to specific location of your home, the type of the emergency, whether there’s audio or maybe on-line video validation (though an apartment camera) as well as the current demand and also accessibility of nearby emergency services during the call. Should you already posses an apartment security system and provide insights on their real life response times, make sure you don’t hesitate to mention your experience with apartment security in our comment section.
Best Alarm System Sensor Uses
Creative Uses for Apartment Security System Sensors
Apartment alarm system sensors can be used for many other things besides just contacting doors and windows.
Many of the best alarm systems for renters can be set up so that specific door or window sensors function as non-reporting devices. Specially configured magnetic sensors will only activate the chime and send an alert signal through your Apartment Alarm System App -without activating any alarm. Alarm systems for apartments can even let you check out your Apartment Security System Cameras right on your smart phone.
Some less traditional sensor uses might be:
Gun Safe – Mounting a sensor on your gun cabinet will provide a second layer of protection. That way, if someone gets into your gun cabinet, you will be notified.
Liquor and Medicine Cabinets- Apartment Alarm systems can also help with monitoring the contents of your liquor and medicine cabinets.
Hazardous Materials- The Best Alarm System for Apartments can help prevent accidental poisonings. Mount contacts on any cabinet that a youngster might be able to reach that might contain harmful or toxic materials.
Home Security for Renters – The Best Alarm System can:
help protect areas you might not have considered.
Tool Shed- If you are renting a home and have a tool shed that is close enough to the control panel of your Apartment Security system, a sensor can be mounted in the tool shed door. You should inquire about special outdoor sensors to deal with extreme temperatures and the elements
Mailbox- Want to know if mail has been delivered? Door/window sensors can be placed on the mailbox to let you know.
Pool Gate – Families with young children should be extra careful if they are renting a home that has a swimming pool. The Best Alarm Systems for Renters can mount an outdoor sensor on the gate can let you know when someone accesses the pool area.
Keep in mind, outdoor applications may require more robust sensors. In addition, mounting on some surfaces can be difficult and you need to be sure the sensor is within range of your apartment alarm system.
Consult your apt alarm company to see which products will work best for you.
If you have an apartment security system, let us know how you like it in the comments section.
Apartment Security- Best Alarm System Sensor Uses
Apartment Alarm System Back Up Power
If there is a power outage, does an Apartment Security System still work?
If there is a loss of power, alarm systems for apartments will continue to provide you with protection by switching to battery back-up . The back-up battery for most apartment alarm system is rated for 24 hours , however that could vary in accordance with the size of the home security system , configurations as well as components. If you have a security camera for the apartment, it will not record during a power outage. Most apartment security systems will likely beep to alert you that the system is running with back up electrical power and also remind someone to enter your code. For those apartment security customers who have created announcements on an interactive app such as Alarm.com, you can even receive an notification on your smart phone.
Apartment Security Apps
Best Apartment Security System Reviews Uncover 7 Benefits of the
Apartment Alarm Apps
In the last few years, alarm systems for apartments have undergone quite a bit of change. Wireless apartment alarm system control panels provide a central hub that manages virtually any compatible apartment security system equipment.
Apartment Alarm Apps – Features and Benefits
- Arm/Disarm System – Apartment Security Systems allow one to arm or disarm the syetem from any mobile device.
- Lock/Unlock Doors – An Apartment Alarm App also lets you to control compatible door locks. (make sure to get an OK from the landlord or management company)
- Apartment Security Cameras – allow you to record video or watch in real time- right through the app. An Apartment Alarm Camera gives you the ability to monitor your pets and check in on the children as they arrive home from school.
- Real-Time Alerts – Apartment Security packages let you set real-time alerts that will notify you via text or e-mail when the kids get home, there is an intrusion, fire or any event you wish to program into the system.
- Thermostat Control – It can even serve as a home energy management hub. It allows you to control the thermostat and…
- Turn Lights On/OFF –This will ensure that you never have to walk into a dark room.
- Control Appliances – With many Apartment Security systems, you can even turn on the air conditioner while you are driving home. That way, you can be sure to come home to a cool apartment!
To let our readers know more about how you use your Apartment Alarm App, make sure to leave us feedback in our section for Apartment Security System Reviews!
Apartment Security Apps- Features/Benefits Video
7 Things you can do with an Apartment Alarm App
Will a pet set off the motion detector in my apartment security system?
Apartment Alarm System motion sensors…
….can be an important part of apartment security. They are a way to protect large common areas or an entire room.
However, care must be taken when pets are involved. Most apartment security systems disregard pets under 40 pounds.
In situations involving larger pets, alarms for apartments may be able to be equipped with sensors that can screen out pets around 80 pounds.
You also may be able to set up your apartment security system with a “pet alley” which will screen out the lower section of coverage to allow your pet to move about but would be set off by a human of a normal height.
And finally, you might want to think about a glass break detector as an alternative.
Any of our top choices for the best apartment security system will be well versed setting up security systems for renters and should be able to work with you to design a system that will fit your lifestyle.
Protecting Your Apartment Security System From Hackers
Protecting an Apartment Alarm System from Internet Invasion
Top apartment security systems let you control almost any part of your system right from your smartphone or any device connected to the internet. It is important to remember thatsuch conveniences can also be exploited by hackers.
That’s why you want to make secure your home network properly, if you are thinking about purchasing smart home devices to add to apartment security systems.
Tips from Apartment Security Companies to Protect The Best Apartment Security Systems from Hackers
Research the Device
When adding smart home equipment, it is best to use a reputable company that follows standard security protocols and best practices. The best home security for apartments will require password protection, one or two-step authentication and will frequently update firmware.
Register the Device
Always register your equipment. This does a couple of things:
- Activates the warranty
- Qualifies you for any firmware updates.
It is important to stay current with the latest versions of the software. Firmware updates typically address any known vulnerabilities.
Most of the best apartment security systems are capable of over the air updates.
But, even the best security system for renters can’t keep your network secure. That is up to you.
Pay Attention to Passwords
Don’t forget to change default passwords. Use a mixture of letters, cases, numbers, and symbols that would make it hard to guess.
Each smart device needs a unique password. If your password for one is compromised, you are not permitting access to all your sensitive accounts.
It is easy to find default passwords online with just a few clicks. This makes even the best alarm systems for an apartment vulnerable.
More Tips on How to Make Apartment Security Systems More Secure
Secure Your Wi-Fi Network
Protect your entire home network. Immediately change the name of the network and default password. Be sure to choose a network name that doesn’t give away your location or private details.
Some routers allow you to set up a Wi-Fi network specifically for your smart home appliances. This isolates your “smart home” network and prevents hackers from entering the network where you do your banking and store your sensitive information.
Consider Professional Installation
This might all sound complicated to those who aren’t very tech savvy.
When selecting the best apartment security system, you may want to choose one that provides professional installation with built-in smart home integration. Companies that sell home security systems for apartments have installers who should be well versed in optimizing the security of your network.
Reset to Factory Default Settings
Before you dispose of, sell or give away any smart devices, make sure that you follow the manufacturer’s instructions to remove all of your data.
Protecting Your Apartment Alarm System From Hackers – Video Summary
Keeping the Best Apartment Security Systems Safe from Hackers
If your Apartment Alarm System equipment package includes smart home devices, such as a Security Camera or thermostat, you should be advised that extra precautions should be taken to protect your WiFi networks. The convenience of having a smart home that can be managed by your Alarm App is wonderful. However, it can also create weak links that can be exploited by hackers.
Consequently, when installing your Apartment Security System, be sure to follow the best practices below to ensure that your network is protected properly.
Research the Device
If you are planning to add 3rd party smart home devices to your Apartment Alarm System, it is important to follow recommended guidelines to minimize the chances of being hacked. First, it is best to purchase equipment from reputable smart device manufacturers. They are more likely to incorporate encrypted signals and require password protection, one or two-step authentication, and offer frequent over-the-air firmware and security updates.
Register the Equipment
It’s important to register each device. This will accomplish a couple of things:
- Activate the warranty and
- qualify you for receiving any firmware updates.
Pay Attention to Passwords
Make sure that you change the default passwords. Try to use different combinations of letters, cases, numbers, and symbols.
In addition, it is best to set up unique passwords for each smart device. This prevents a hacker from gaining access to all your sensitive accounts if the password for one is discovered.
Make Sure Your Wi-Fi Network is Secure
To keep your apartment security system safe, you need to secure the entire network. Changing the name of the network and the default password is a good place to start. Use a network name that doesn’t include your address or any personal details.
Consider Professional Installation
While the basics of the DIY system install are pretty straightforward, you might want to get professional help to enhance your network security.
An expert technician can help if you have questions with the Apartment Security System App or setting up storage parameters for Security Cameras.
Reset to Factory Default Settings
Before you dispose of, sell or give away any of the best apartment system smart devices, make sure to remove all of your data. For more information on Best Home Security Systems for Renters, Apartment Alarm System Pricing, and Apartment Security System Reviews… visit The Home Security Advisor.
Thank you for visiting! Please feel free to share Best Apartment Security System | Renter’s Guide to Apartment Security, below …or follow us, above. If you or someone you know has experience with Apartment Security Systems, we hope you will share that experience in our Comment Section..
Best Home Security Systems
Side by Side Comparisons of the Top Security Systems
Last Updated on September 23, 2021 by The Home Security Advisor